Chemonics seeks a nature-based solutions team lead for the anticipated USAID-funded Environment New Adaptation Activity. The five year, $25 million project aims to improve urban climate and disaster resilience in Indonesia by 1) supporting GOI efforts to integrate disaster risk reduction and climate adaptation in sub-national core development plans and investment, 2) mobilizing finance to advance urban climate resilience, 3) strengthening systems for collection and application of climate data, services, and decision support tools to improve planning processes in target cities, and 4) advancing urban nature based solutions to promote climate resilience. The nature-based solutions team lead will support municipalities to conserve, manage, and restore urban ecosystems. We are seeking individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Build capacity of Indonesian cities to conserve, manage, and restore ecosystems, including communities affected by shared watersheds and managed systems such as peri-urban agricultural lands
- Improve municipal mechanisms to address societal challenges and climate change effectively and adaptively
- Coordinate local government stakeholders from urban and peri-urban areas within the same watershed to improve water resource management and flood prevention
- Provide technical assistance to target municipalities to develop, implement, and sustainably finance nature-based solutions that are most appropriate to the local urban system
- Design interventions to simultaneously conserve or restore natural urban habitats, improve biodiversity, and improve the quality of life for urban residents, for example, through peri-urban mangrove restoration, establishment of urban riparian wetlands, and use of urban green spaces to mitigate the effects of extreme weather and heat island conditions
- Conduct climate screening, profiles, and vulnerability assessments of select cities
- Advanced degree in integrated water resources management, , urban planning, ecosystem restoration, or a related field preferred
- Minimum seven years of professional experience in international development
- Strong capabilities in nature-based solutions, preferably in the urban environment
- Experience strengthening municipal capacity to conserve, manage, and/or restore ecosystems
- Expertise conducting climate screening, profiles, and vulnerability assessments and designing nature-based interventions
- Strong ability to engage constructively and diplomatically with a wide range of government and non-governmental institutions, private sector actors, local civil society organizations, and local stakeholders with divergent perspectives and interests
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- English and Indonesian language fluency required
How to apply
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] by February 26, 2024. Emails should include a CV and cover letter and “Nature-Based Solutions Team Lead” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data.