Desired start date: 24/04/2024
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Yangon – Myanmar
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) is an international humanitarian aid association which, since more than 40 years, has been providing assistance to populations affected by armed conflicts and natural disasters by meeting their basic needs for food, water and shelter. Particularly committed to the fight against diseases linked to unsafe water, the leading cause of death in the world, SI’s interventions provide expertise in the field of access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential area of food security and livelihoods. Present in some twenty countries, the SI teams – 2500 people in total, made up of expatriates, national staff, permanent staff at HQ, and a few volunteers – intervene with professionalism and commitment while respecting cultural norms.
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI has been in Myanmar since 2008, first responding to the devastating Nargis Cyclone. In 2011 and 2012, SI expanded to new regions focusing on Livelihoods, Food Security, Shelter, and WASH.
SI is currently mainly operating in Rakhine and in Kachin States with outreach emergency capacities through its local partners in Chin, Sagaing and Magway States. The operations are supported by the Coordination team based in Yangon.
While continuing to support the vulnerable communities suffering from a long-term protracted crisis, SI is also developing a stronger and more responsive Emergency component, either directly or through local partners, to tackle the growing needs spreading across the country.
In 2023, 18 international staff and more than 300 national staff are working with SI Myanmar to implement projects focusing on WASH, FSL and Emergency response. Projects range from immediate life-saving response (Water Scarcity in Rakhine, Emergency response to new displacements etc.) to the search for more sustainable solutions to protracted crisis (handover to communities and local organizations, capacity-building, community empowerment etc.) Projects are currently funded by FCDO, ECHO, CIAA, CDCS and UN agencies with potential for development in terms of geographical coverage and activities’ scope to address the emerging needs.
SI has 2 regional operational bases:
- In Rakhine State – Sittwe regional base with two areas of intervention in Pauktaw, and Sittwe Townships. Sittwe regional base is composed of 239 national staff and 4 expatriates.
- In Kachin State – Bhamo regional base with a sub-base in Lwegel. Bhamo regional base is composed of 44 national staff and 1 expatriate.
Each base is directly supported by the Coordination team in Yangon, composed of 21 national staffs and 9 internationals (CD, DCD-Program, WASH Coordinator, FSL Coordination, Emergency Coordinator, Finance Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator, Grant Manager and Reporting and Communication Officer).
In 2023, the mission budget reached 9 million euros. The main financial partners of the mission are ECHO, FCDO, CIAA, CDCS, AFD and UN agencies.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Partnership and Grant Coordinator plays a key role in developing and monitoring the partnership and financial strategies for the country office. He or she guarantees a high level of interdepartmental coordination in the management of grants and provides strategic support to the country office on issues of donor relations, external representation, implementing partners management, external compliance, and donor accountability.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Clear the closing of all grants related to Mocha cyclone response.
- Analyze with DCD-Programs the situation vis-a-vis regular NCE request for most grants.
- Finalize the upgraded set-up of the Grants and Partnerships Department.
- Monitor and support the roll-out of the Localization Framework of the mission.
- Finalize the integration of the new Conformity, Risk and Transparency department in crosscutting themes (audit, partnerships, donors’ commitment related to Ethics and Safeguarding).
The main challenges:
- Grants department under structuration in order to accomodate the high number of (regular) grants, the training and autonomization of teams, as well as the growing partnerships portfolio.
- Entry in the country is limited for expatriates, the position has to be considered as remote position until further notice.
- Access: Travel Authorization (TA) is needed every month in order to access the camps, expatriate cannot apply for TA since august 2023. The TA is not granted every months, thus remote working and supervision apply.
Education / academic background:
- MSc in Humanitarian affairs, programming, International affairs
- 5 years or more experience in the humanitarian sector
- 3-4 years on a similar position
Specific skills and experience:
- Grants management, donors’ intelligence
- Proposal writing and proposal development coordination
- Experience in partnerships management and development
- Leadership and sense of coordination (internal, external)
- Innovative and solutions oriented
- English (fluent – mandatory)
- French (strong asset) – number of Grants funded by French requiring communication in French to Paris
- Burmese (strong asset)
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position:
According to experience, starting from EUR 2860 gross per month (2600 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of USD 750.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Breaks: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months (with a USD 850 break allowance, allocated by Sl). To these breaks periods, SI grants one (1) additional rest day per month worked.
Insurance package: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which refunds all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Depending on access constraints and possibility to secure visas, the position will be held either remotely (in the sub-region or in Thailand, depending on possibilities) or in Yangon. In both locations, living conditions are good with accommodation providing by SI in its guesthouses. Coordinators positions (excluding field coordinators) are progressively opening for housing package – not for family package at the moment, given the visa situation in both Myanmar (restricted) and Thailand (acquisition of work permit for long term committed coordinators is currently being discussed).
- Individual, comfortable room in the guesthouse, with electricity 24/7.
- Internet and Phone network available
- Restaurants and international food are available
No major security concerns in SI offices locations, both Rakhine and Kachin are in Security level 3, but remain largely inaccessible for expatriate given the visa situation. The position will be based in Bangkok as a starter, monitoring the situation in Myanmar, should a later move to Yangon be considered (not foreseen in the first 9 months of the position anyway).
Remote management and adapted modalities require a strong application of digital/online security framework.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? If yes, please send us your CV and cover letter!
Please note that CV-only applications will not be considered, and that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
Thank you for your understanding.
To learn more about Sl: www.solidarites.org
Solidarités International (SI) est déterminé à prévenir et à combattre tout type d’abus – tout acte d’exploitation, d’abus et/ou de harcèlement sexuels (SEAH) à l’encontre des membres des communautés bénéficiaires ou de ses collaborateurs et collaboratrices, atteinte aux personnes et/ou aux biens, fraude, corruption, conflit d’intérêt non déclaré, financement d’activités portant atteinte aux droits de l’homme – qui pourrait être perpétré dans le cadre de ses interventions. SI applique une tolérance zéro à l’égard de tout type d’abus, particulièrement des actes de SEAH.
Solidarités International est un employeur équitable qui combat toute forme de discrimination. SI ne demandera jamais une rétribution quelconque en vue de participer à un processus de recrutement.
Solidarités International (SI) is determined to prevent and fight all type of abuse – all act of exploitation, abuse and/or sexual harassment (SEAH) against members of beneficiary communities or collaborators, fraud, corruption, violation of persons and/or property, funding of activities harmful to human rights – that could be perpetrated in the frame of its interventions. SI implements a zero-tolerance policy regarding acts of abuse, notably acts of SEAH.
Solidarités International is an equitable employer committed to find all forms of discrimination. SI will ever ask for any remuneration to take part in a recruitment process.
How to apply