Company DescriptionOxfam is a global organization working to end the injustice of poverty. We help people build better futures for themselves, hold the powerful accountable, and save lives in disasters.
Job DescriptionJOB PURPOSE:
The Media and Communications Officer will maximise the coverage of Oxfam in Senegal���������s program and campaign messages by developing and delivering effective media and communication strategies and visibility products taking maximum advantage of all the digital opportunities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (Technical, Leadership, People and Resource management)
– To coordinate all internal communications in the Oxfam Senegal country program.
– To regularly generate high quality media coverage of Oxfam���������s program and advocacy work, primarily for national media but also international outlets when needed. This includes collecting case-studies developing press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers and to organize press conferences, media briefing, organizing visits ts and celebrities to program locations where Oxfam and partners have programs (including logistical arrangements).
– Coordinate and manage the creation of all digital contents (stories, photos, blogs, websites, press release, pod casts, infographic, videos) to be used on Oxfam and other websites and to liaise with relevant staff at regional and affiliate levels to maximize the use of the contents generated.
– Work to improve our brand presence.
– Maintain and manage all our social media channels.
– Lead and assist country team members to maintain a social media and web presence for the country programs.
– To act as spokesperson for the county programs in media interviews if required, and brief other staff ahead of media interviews or press conferences
– To contribute to media and overall campaigns strategy planning (putting great emphasis on digital) for the country programs
– To regularly visit country programs to ensure a direct link between program work and media coverage, and to identify and generate high quality media and communication opportunities.
– To build relationships with media colleagues in other organizations (e.g. NGOs, UN agencies), to coordinate and collaborate on media projects
– To build and maintain excellent relationships with regional media outlets and maintain a database of media contacts
– To monitor and evaluate media coverage on inequalities, extractives industries, climate change, and other key issues, and to draw lessons to improve coverage, and provide regular analysis on issues relevant to Oxfam���������s program and campaigns work.
– Undertake any tasks which are necessary to deliver country programs across the country as required, including technical support to staff, partners and allies.
– Flexibility to work out of normal offices hours is required, recognizing media is not a standard ���������office hours��������� job.
CORE DIMENSIONS (see Standard Role Profiles)
– Raises the profile of Oxfam Senegal���������s work
– Works closely with the country program team and delivers mediicant impact on Oxfam���������s public image – at country level – and makes sensible judgments, working within Oxfam policy and procedures.
– Makes decisions and solves problems on complex issues, requiring creative thinking to find best solutions and drawing on information from a variety of sources to inform decision making.
– Required to operate to tight deadlines, using independent judgement within clear parameters.
– Develops and implement projects which could be either stand-alone or part of larger programs.
– Represents Oxfam to external contacts, especially journalists. Expert knowledge of the Senegalese media environment and communication tools
– Capacity to independently produce quality media and communication materials (press releases, video, photos, audio, infographics.) that can be used by a variety of media at different levels
– To regularly visit country programs to ensure a direct link between program work and media coverage, and to identify and generate high quality media and communication oppties.
QualificationsEXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & COMPETENCIES
Influencing. Ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization. Spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities, we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
Relationship Building. Understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. Ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation
Listening. Good listener who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Clear messages to others, and consider different preferences.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity. Capability to scan the environment, anticipate changes, comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
Self-Awareness. Able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around own strengths and weaknesses and impact on others. Self-awareness enables to moderate and self-regulate behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
Knowledge, skills and experience
������ University degree as Journalist, Engineer Technology or other related subjects.
������ Experience in a similar position for an INGO or as a journalist, with a proven record of generating media coverage.
������ Capable of designing and implementing coherent and robust communications strategies for projects, programs or organisations, across a range of contexts.
������ Strong writing skills and experience of crafting simple and compelling messages from very complex sets of information; uses confident, distinctive style of delivery that engages and motivates audience to action; able to train others in effective delivery of messages. ability to produce quality communication materials within tight deadlines.
������ Expert user of a wide range of communication channels, including broadcast media dia. Adept at keeping communication channels open; can train others in appropriate use of channels. knowledge of up-loading photos/videos, experience of using online fora for corporate purposes.
������ Practices active listening in both one-to-one and group situations; uses ���������echoing��������� to check understanding; is alert to non-verbal cues and signals; scans the media space for influencing media houses and bloggers with similar values and form network relationships.
������ Capable of managing risk, brand and strategic communications and risk in highly dynamic and challenging context such as emergency
������ Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines.
������ Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with good strategic perspective, able to understand complex issues and information from different sources and present this clearly and simply.
������ Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner and to identife media to Oxfam���������s advantage.
������ Photography and Videography skills, with experience working with Photoshop, InDesign, and other design software and/or Filming and editing skills for short video packages.
������ Good understanding of sustainable development issues and a rights-orie
To apply for this job please visit www.developmentaid.org.