Position: Logistics Assistant
Direct hierarchy: Logistics Officer
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Number of positions: Two (2)
Starting date: July 2023
I. Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the Two (2) Logistics Assistant positions to be based in Mogadishu.
II. Position Profile
Under the supervision of the Area Logistics Manager/logistics Officers/ Sr. Logistics Officer, the Logistic Assistants is responsible for the day-to-day operational support of the logistics department in ACTED’s Mogadishu Office (including support in Procurements, Fleet, Property and Stock/Warehouse activities).
The Logistic Assistant may be asked to support in various aspects of the logistics department or focus on one activity. This will depend on the team structure at Mogadishu Office. However, all Logistic staff in Mogadishu office are expected to cover others and be aware of the procedures for all aspects of the logistic operations. Logistics Assistants will only be expected to be involved in all areas but with higher supervision from department supervisors and department managers.
The logistics Assistant will be based initially in Mogadishu, with frequent travel between other mission bases when needed, and can be nominated to be a reporting focal point for a certain task need to be followed by the country office i.e. (Fleet Orders, MTA Orders, OFFU, etc.)
The Logistics Assistant will be based in Mogadishu – Somalia, with frequent travel between other mission areas when needed.
The main objective of humanitarian logistics is to rapidly provide critical humanitarian relief supplies, with planning, implementing, and controlling a cost-effective supply chain from the point of origin to the point of consumption for the purpose of alleviating the suffering of vulnerable people and reduce human suffering and deprivation.
As an ACTED logistics Assistant your objective will be in supporting the delivery and warehousing activities for supplies during natural disasters or complex emergencies to the affected area and humans. including support in Procurements, Fleet, Property management and Stock/Warehouse activities with exchanging information as per ACTED Logistics manual
Nature of the Job.
- Working hours are determined with the contract, however, ACTED is a humanitarian organization and in practice hours are variable depending on the needs of the project(s). Working hours can range from 8am until 5pm, five days per week, can be on a shift or fixed pattern. Working hours can extend before or after these hours if required in exceptional circumstances.
- Working days can include public holidays. Although no staff are required to work during this period the needs remain and flexibility is appreciated. In particular, the Logistics Officer may on occasion may on occasion work outside normal hours to support transport coordination (Sunday-Thursday, or occasional weekends with the prior approval of the Country Logistics Manager, HR Manager and Coordination).
- Staff attendance is monitored and staff who do not attend on time or at all can be subject to disciplinary procedures.
- Staff roles are defined in the ToR however staff can be required to fulfil other roles or duties according to the operational or strategic needs of the Program. These duties can be defined by any line manager, FLATS manager, Project Manager, or Coordination.
1. Procurements Support.
- To Follow up with Procurements Reporting on Mogadishu level including but not limited to:
- Order Form follow up (PRO-10) entry and update when requested.
- Supplier Database (PRO-3.1) filing and updates when requested, coordinate with his supervisors, to register 100% of new suppliers on the ACTED Somalia Supplier Database.
- Payments updates with finance using only OFFU (PRO-10)
- Procurement Support and Executions Under A (Direct Purchases), B (3 Quotations + PM), Procurement under FWAs and C (3 Quotations+ PM + Contract):
- Procures the requested items in the shortest possible lead-time and against the most advantageous cost whilst taking into account that quality of the goods must remain within ACTED standards.
- Receives OFs for local purchases done on Mogadishu level from the concerned requester after authorization and update Order Form follow up (PRO-10).
- For ready-signed Framework agreement, to issue Purchases Orders (PRO-04) and prepare them for approval and execution.
- Requests price quotations from various suppliers for preparation according to the lead time communicated via his/her supervisor.
- Analyze quotations using the Procurement Memos (PRO-08) to ensure ACTED obtains the best possible value for money. The timeframe for producing a PM is dependent on the urgency and complexity of the order but should normally be between two days and six days.
- Submits selection to the Logistics Officer for approval according to the financial rules of the Delegation to the Purchaser.
- Prepare contracts based on fair and transparent negotiations with suppliers. The timeframe for producing a contract should be no more than one or two days.
- Match invoices, stock reception forms and service completion certificates to contracts, filing copy documentation and transferring to Finance for payment. Payment should take no more than one or two days upon receiving an invoice.
- Ensures follow up of the purchasing process until delivery of the goods and ensures official handover of items against signature of receipt.
- Upon request and in exceptional circumstances handles petty cash purchases upon requests.
- Provide any support for the good functioning of ACTED Logistics department whenever requested by ACTED Management.
- Procurement Support and Executions Under D (National Call of Tender), E (International Call for Tender).
- Prepare and draft Tender documents, according to the Procurement Scenario and as per requested by his line manager.
- Support in the execution of quality check with requester as per his/her line manger directions.
- Accountability, Transparency and Compliance in procurement:
- Accountable for overall compliance with the procurement procedures. Advise supervisor and colleagues on solution-oriented methods to conduct large and intense procurements while adhering to policies timelines;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such manner as to bring credit to ACTED and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Framework Agreements and Supplier Management:
- Support in FWAs preparation and documents drafting.
- Ensure 100% of FWA documentation is correctly filed in hard-copy and electronic-copy.
- Follow-Up on supplier management issues, including late delivery, late payment, and quality assurance concerns within one day of identification.
- Planning movements and scheduling drivers.
- Monitor monthly fuel consumption and rental expenditure.
- Arrange regular preventative maintenance according to the manufacturer’s recommendations (Regular service check for ACTED owned vehicles).
- Prepare Motorized Asset Maintenance Checklist (form TRA-04) and Maintenance Order & Completion Forms (TRA-05) arrange maintenance, according to the vehicle’s warranty, terms of the rental contract, or with an approved garage.
- Prepare and check all documentation related for fleet management (fuel slips, logbook, OF and Purchase Order)
- The Logistics Assistant Mogadishu will then submit the original procurement file to the Finance Department, keeping copies on-file in Logistics server according to filing rules.
- Upon receiving an Order Form, preparing documentation to close advances (e.g. for payments made for car washing, airport parking, or other activities defined in General Memos for direct purchases under scenario A and as per scenarios PP.
- The Logistics Assistant Mogadishu will in addition create and maintain a folder for Motorized Assets Follow-Up (TRA-06) and update the report on monthly basis sharing needed information to complete the carbon foot print report with his supervisors.
- Prepare Stock Reception Forms (STO-05) and Stock Cards (STO-01) upon receipt of deliveries to ACTED SWS Office in Mogadishu, as well as Packing Lists (DEL-01), Waybills (DEL-02) and Stock-Exits (STO-03) as needed.
- With the Logistics Officers, and/or stock-keeper he/she will carry out monthly Inventory and forecast bulk-stock requirements for stationary, kitchen supplies, and other office equipment.
- Make sure to have an up-to-date Inventory report (STO-02) for all Supplies in the office.
- Create separate folders for each reporting documents/per month in addition to file 100% of hard-copy documentation for each procurement.
- For procurement under his/her direct responsibility, ensure soft copies of 100% of all documents produced in Mogadishu Office are electronically filed in the correct location on ACTED’s Logistics Server.
- Follow-up on transmission of original and soft-copy documentation to Compliance according to defined timelines and audit schedules from Acted Bases in Somalia.
5. Reporting requested in Summary.
- Register 100% of new orders on Mogadishu Order Form follow up (PRO-10) and record the progress of each procurement until the completed file is transferred to Finance for payment.
- Send the OFFU to Mogadishu logistics Officer on weekly basses and when requested.
- Preparing the Other Property Follow-Up (AST-06) each month for the office.
- Preparing the Monthly Stock Inventory Report (STO-02) .
- Preparing the Transport Follow-Up (TRA-06) each month.
- Update the Supplier Database (PRO-03.1), When need and as per logistics officer request.
Qualifications/Skills and Experience Required
- Prior experience in Logistics, Procurement, or Supply Chain Management. Knowledge of the humanitarian sector and international experience would be an asset.
- At least 2 years’ experience working in the field of Logistics in an international/local NGO or for an international Institutions.
- Holding or working towards a qualification in logistics, procurement, supply chain management, business administration, or similar. Experience or knowledge of one or more of the following areas would be an additional asset: agriculture, construction, food supply, inventory and property management, technology, transport, water, sanitation, and hygiene services.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Diligent, dedicated, and able to see complex procedures through to completion.
- Able to communicate complex information clearly, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Outlook, and Word).
- Staff may subject to do field visits for areas to facilitate logistics and operations such as procurements, training, and any other activities as per requested by the line manager for a period up to 3 weeks maximum.
How to apply
Qualified Nationals persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to [email protected] and received on or before 5.00PM on 20th July 2023 with the subject line “Logistics Assistant Mogadishu”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.