Background Information – Job-specific:
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. The New York Portfolios Office (NYPO) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of the UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
The Sustainable Development Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services, UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), and the Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio. It provides services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement defined activities in support of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
This position is in the Information Management Branch in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in New York. OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response efforts.
OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
This position is within OCHA´s Information Services Section (OCHA//IMB/ISS). The incumbent reports to the Data Analytics Officer.
Reporting to the Data Analytics Officer, the incumbent is responsible for the application lifecycle of different OCHA business solutions needed to support operations. This role involves working with business owners and developers. Additionally, this role involves working with clients to establish standard operating procedures and service level agreements based on operational priority. No travel is required for this position.
The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full administrative and financial responsibility.
The functional responsibilities include:
- Manages projects involving feasibility studies, systems analysis, design, development and implementation of new systems, using the Power Platform, Azure and other Cloud technologies.
- Designs, develops, tests and deploys end-to-end solution for automating business process in various offices/sections; multitasking across projects.
- Acts as a business analyst for new project requests.
- Provides support on relevant systems, applications and assigned areas.
- Installs application systems software and hardware according to specifications.
- Provides advance support in gathering requirements, planning, specification, design, development, implementation, and maintenance of customized application software systems.
- Works with senior IT staff in the definition and specification of requirements.
- Builds, tests and modifies prototype application software based on detailed instructions.
- Installs and maintains software systems.
- Support senior staff in the creation and maintenance of application software including Azure, Power Platform, SharePoint and other web and cloud technologies; and general database administration and management.
- Develops and maintains information systems that require integration of many interrelated systems and program elements. Design, architect and automate solutions using on-prem and cloud platforms.
- Assists in the preparation of technical and user documentation, as well as in the production of training materials.
- Provides support on software development matters, including security, data integrity and recovery
- Contribute to the discovery and evaluation of new technologies and techniques.
- Assists with needs assessment for new systems (including modifications to existing systems)
- Performs ongoing reviews with users and developers and responds to requirements.
- Provides specialized advice to users and citizen developers, analyzing users’ requirements and translating these into new applications.
- Requests, implements, provides operational support and maintains various applications.
- Maintains regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices and provides support as required.
- Conducts research on new technologies as requested.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field.
- Assists in testing and evaluating new products and technologies.
- Monitor cybersecurity alerts.
- Generate reports related to cybersecurity.
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Advanced degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems / Technology, Business Administration, Engineering or related field.
- A first-level university degree with an additional two years of relevant experience in information and communications technology may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in information technology or related area
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in Defender Online
- Recent experience in Power Platform, Azure, Microsoft SQL or other cloud technologies
- Microsoft certified professional certification
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language (Spanish, Arabic, Russian, and Chinese) is an asset.
How to apply
For a detailed job description and to apply for the position follow this link – https://jobs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=27402
Deadline: 14 Feb 2024