**Project Overview and Role:**The Humanitarian and Stabilisation Operations Team (HSOT), contracted by Palladium International Ltd as part of the HEROS contract, provides the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) with humanitarian services and the UK Government’s Office for Conflict, Stabilisation and Mediation (OCSM) with stabilisation support.
HSOT provides support to FCDO for the UK Government’s response to humanitarian disasters and protracted crises in cooperation with the United Nations, the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, non-governmental organisations and governments of affected countries.
This is a permanent role forming a part of the HSOT Humanitarian Emergency Response Team (HERT), and reporting to the Lead Humanitarian Advisor. The post holder will focus on the generalist response and preparedness responsibilities and providing support and technical assistance to FCDO’s policy and agenda particularly with regards to key policy priorities of the ‘Prevent’ pillar of the UK’s Humanitarian Framework: early and anticipatory action and resilience programming and approaches in priority countries.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Generalist Humanitarian advisory
- Provide humanitarian analysis and advice to help FCDO design and implement humanitarian response strategies in sudden onset emergencies and protracted crisis. This may include engaging with situation and needs assessments, identifying response gaps where the UK will have the greatest added value, drafting response strategies, and programming funds (including appraising proposals and drafting funding submissions) and providing specific technical support in area of expertise.
- Provide direct preparedness support to FCDO priority countries, considered at high risk of humanitarian disasters, in collaboration with HSOT colleagues and FCDO teams and Posts.
- Support knowledge sharing and engagement with humanitarian experts on the HSOT humanitarian roster who provide additional humanitarian capacity to FCDO Posts and teams and support the recruitment and selection of specialist and generalist experts
- Build relationships with FCDO counterparts to maintain the necessary familiarity with policy, priorities and practices required to produce deliverables to an excellent standard with the speed expected from an agile resource.
Contribute to and/or participate in HSOT-led readiness and learning exercises together with HRG to maintain deployability and deploy as generalist humanitarian adviser in support of initial UK rapid response to global emergencies.
- Support the HERT Deputy Director to identify opportunities for enhancing the value and impact HSOT contribution to FCDO humanitarian efforts, as well as developing and delivering d approaches for capitalising on these opportunities
- Fulfil role of Duty Officer on rotation, providing week-long out of hours surveillance of emergencies.
- Contribute to HEROS contract monthly, quarterly, annual contractual reporting on specialist portfolio, and provide support as requested to the team in support of results-based reporting.
- As appropriate, engage with Palladium EMEA regional team fora and initiatives.
- Undertake any other duties as appropriate to the position, as requested.
Specialist portfolio: Resilience
The UK’s Humanitarian Framework includes a commitment to ‘Prevent and anticipate future shocks and build resilience in long-running crises’. This role will provide support in line with these objectives, with a specific focus on the responsibilities below:
- Support agreed FCDO priority posts, with advice on resilience programming and approaches which could be supported through international climate adaptation finance, linked to the FCDO Humanitarian Department’s priority of scaling up climate finance access to build resilience in humanitarian contexts
- Support FCDO Humanitarian Policy Group with early and anticipatory action, in particular provide support to priority posts to develop an approach to supporting early action and anticipatory action through light touch learning, advice and information sharing.
- Engage with relevant thematic UK and global working groups and forums for partners and donors to identify and share learning, knowledge exchange, good practice and opportunities from approaches related to early and anticipatory action and climate resilience by other donors, humanitarian and development agencies and national authorities.
- Support evidencing and dissemination of good practice, opportunities and challenges in the implementation of early and anticipatory actions and resilience in FCDO programmes.
- Explore linkages and opportunities to mainstream FCDO’s prevent pillar approaches into FCDO/HSOT emergency preparedness programmes and approaches and into other priority policy areas (such as protection, cash, VAWG, localisation).
- Explore opportunities for creating join up and synergies between HSOT’s advisory and other capabilities (e.g. early warning and analysis, procurement and logistics, roster management and deployment) in the areas of anticipatory action and resilience
- Identify and capitalise on opportunities for leveraging knowledge and skills from across Palladium’s wider network of projects that enhance HSOT’s ability to design and deliver support to FCDO on resilience
- Knowledge and experience gained working extensively on or in developing countries and/or in fragile and conflict affected environments including field-based experience in rapid onset disaster/complex emergency settings working with UN, Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, INGOs and/or donors.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of humanitarian theory, practice and architecture, humanitarian risk assessment and planning and managing humanitarian responses.
- Knowledge and experience in resilience in humanitarian contexts, as well as early and anticipatory action preferred.
- Demonstrable success in internal advocacy and consultancy, and an understanding of organizational culture and change in large, public-sector organisations.
- Exceptional research and analysis skills, and proven ability to produce high quality and evidence-based quantitative and qualitative reports.
- Familiarity with and keen interest in climate adaptation financing desired.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK and two years residency in the UK for compliance purposes
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team at accessi[email protected] and we will be in touch to discuss.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
How to apply
Please submit your CV’s to [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.