Danish Refugee Council
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme to be responsible for leading the development and growth of DRC’s strategic program portfolio in Tunisia and Algeria.
The Head of Programme will take the lead in developing all new programmatic opportunities and support the Country Director in ensuring that DRC’s overall programmatic strategies in both countries are developed in line with the changing needs at field level. S/He will be actively involved in fundraising and external representation when related to existing or upcoming programs in close coordination with the Country Director.
The Head of Programme will also be responsible of ensuring program quality of all existing and future projects in line with DRC and international standards and for supporting Area Managers and their teams towards successful qualitative implementation and cross learning. The Head of Program will take the lead in contextualising sector policies, processes and tools as required by project teams.
Finally, as a Senior Management Team member, the Head of Programme will support the Country Director and fellow colleagues in the Tunis coordination office to ensure optimal working conditions for all, support to existing and future Area Offices and continued positive collaboration with MMC and DRC Libya teams with whom DRC Tunisia-Algeria share an office space.
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Program strategy & project development:
- Lead in the development and implementation of DRC Tunisia-Algeria program strategy
- Ensure strategic programming coherence with DRC’s 2025 Global strategy including its operational platforms
- Identify new program opportunities in close coordination with program teams and relevant internal and external partners
- Draft or review and approve all new developed CNs, project proposals and budgets
- Develop and maintain up-to-date and in-depth knowledge of donor and government policies and support implementing teams to ensure full compliance
- Maintain and update DRC’s online Grants Management System (GMS) platforms
- Enable and oversee effective, efficient, and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
- Develop regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on program activities, policy matters and external relations
- Lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations
- Increase the visibility and credibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations and coordination with all relevant stakeholders
- Lead donor reporting processes by coordinating, compiling, editing and providing feedback to ensure the development of high-quality narratives and timely submissions
- Represent DRC on behalf of the Country Director upon agreement with authorities, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partner
Program Quality, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning:
- Support field teams to ensure they are gathering appropriate and accurate data on activities and outcomes
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed, and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area
- Develop internal learning and appropriate program adjustments due to new opportunities/challenges
- Develop assessment tools and planning
- Ensure compliance with CHS
- Lead in the development and management of external consultants recruited on the program
In order to be successful, we expect the following:
- Master’s degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field
- At least 5 years’ experience in relevant field.
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Experience in managing or overseeing program operations, including at country senior management level
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, UNHCR and other relevant stakeholders.
- Full professional proficiency in English
- French desirable
- Arabic desirable
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 6 months
Designation of Duty Station: Unacccompanied Family Duty Station
Start date: 01 August
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Rym Cherif at [email protected] Applications sent by email will not be considered.
How to apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered. Apply for the vacancy here.
Closing date for applications: 26 June
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.