Un Ponte per
(This position is being re-advertised. Please consider that if you had previously applied)
Position: Head of Mission – NORTH EAST SYRIA
Location: North East Syria, Amuda
Type of contract: Contract of collaboration
Duration: 12 months (3-month probation period)
Benefits: R&R every 8 weeks on the field with 500.00 € as allowance, health insurance, round trip
Closing date of the vacancy: 15th July 2023 (applications on a rolling basis)
Starting from: ASAP
Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an Italian NGO established in 1991 with a mission to prevent armed conflicts, protect human rights, and support local civil society in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries. Since 2015, UPP has been leading the way in the North East Syria (NES) response, developing a comprehensive system of health services delivered in 26 facilities, including mobile units, hospitals, primary health care centers, and rural health posts, as well as providing capacity building for local actors on Gender Based Violence (GBV) prevention and response, Child Protection (CP), Psycho-social Support (PSS) and protection mainstreaming in health programs. UPP also launched an Early-Recovery sector component focusing on capacity-building for Local Authorities and civil society, supporting municipalities in NES to establish links with corresponding public bodies in Europe.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/
Reporting Line: This role reports directly to the Director of Programs and Executive Director. There will be a functional coordination with NES Head of Programs, NES Country Administrator, Iraq Country Director (cross-border aspects), Head of Administration and Finance Department, Programme and Admin Desk Officers.
About the Role: UPP is currently seeking a seasoned professional to lead our team team of over 120+ international and national staff in the implementation of health, protection, and early-recovery programs in the four governorates of North East Syria.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Programmatic and Operational Supervision:
- Consolidate and expand UPP work in NES.
- Lead and motivate the team for effective program implementation within UPP operational standards, procedures, policies, and code of conduct.
- Organize regular meetings with the mission-relevant staff to coordinate networking and external relation functions.
- Identify and address any operational shortfalls, proposing corrective measures.
- Liaise with the UPP HQ for efficient problem-solving and solution development.
- Ensure UPP personnel understand and comply with UPP Policies including Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Fraud, Anti-Terrorism, and Whistleblowing.
- Oversee the development of country-specific Terms of Reference and tailored SOPs for field Policy implementation.
- Ensure that in-country security management aligns with the UPP Security Plan and Standards.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director on strategic safety and security matters.
- Develop and refine procedures to strengthen UPP’s preventative measures and risk mitigation strategies.
External Coordination and Donor Engagement:
- Lead UPP advocacy at the country level, monitor key narratives, and regional developments in humanitarian action.
- Maintain and develop relationships with institutions, international aid agencies, NGOs, and individual donors.
- Assure the visibility of the organization’s activities in the area.
- Previous experience in a similar role is required.
- Comprehensive understanding of the humanitarian landscape, preferably in Syria.
- Strong leadership and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent networking and negotiation skills.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of international humanitarian law and principles.
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of other languages is an asset.
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. UPP participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, therefore, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and that s/he will not in the future. UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates that might compromise candidates’ privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV (PDF format) with the authorization to use and process data on the base of the EU Regulation 2016/679 – GDPR and a brief cover letter (PDF format) that includes the contact information for three Professional References (relevant and recent) to: [email protected]. Please reference “HoM NES read – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application and name the files attached to your application as surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc.
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.