People in Need
Country Programme: Ukraine
Reports to: Deputy Country Director Programmes
Line Managing: MEAL Team
About PIN Ukraine:
People in Need (PIN) has been active in Ukraine since early August 2014. Currently, PIN is one of the major humanitarian actors in Ukraine responding to the recent military escalation providing humanitarian aid to conflict-affected people across Ukraine. Since 2014, PIN has implemented emergency food and cash assistance, NFI, shelter, protection, livelihoods and WASH interventions supporting 3 million vulnerable IDPs, returnees and host communities in urban and rural areas. Since the escalation in February 2022 PIN has scaled up its response from working in 2 Oblasts to working in 23 of the 24 Oblasts in Ukraine, increasing its number of partners, staff, offices and budgets. The MEAL team has also been expanded and the structure adapted to reflect the increase in scale and ways of working having moved from a project to an area-based approach and to reflect a greater focus on a Life Saving Response and working through partners.
About the role:
Under the strategic guidance of the Deputy Country Director – Programmes, the position is responsible for the overall coordination of all MEAL related processes and activities across PIN’s Country Programme in Ukraine; lead the MEAL department in developing quality MEAL related deliverables in compliance with donors’ guidelines and PIN’s internal guidelines. The lead role and responsibilities in MEAL will be performed in close collaboration with the Deputy Country Director Programmes, Area Directors, Heads of Projects, Technical Leads, Grants and Reporting Manager, Desk Officer and HQ-based advisors. This is a challenging role but the role has the potential to contribute enormously to setting the direction of and increasing the programme quality of PIN’s response in Ukraine.
These will be your main tasks:
Lead the monitoring, evaluation duties and support and strengthen accountability and learning processes of the Country Programme:
- Lead implementation of the ethical principles in all MEAL processes
- Draft and regularly update MEAL CP workplan, validate it with stakeholders
- Support project teams in developing quality standards for all key program interventions to strengthen the compliance and quality aspects.
- Plan, prepare, organise and conduct monitoring and evaluation activities for all projects and provide support to external evaluators as required.
- Contribute to periodic projects’ review process in cooperation with Deputy CD Programs, Region Directors, Area Managers and other relevant staff.
Ensure technical, programmatic or strategic consultancy in MEAL assignments to the program team:
- Promote and strengthen the understanding of the importance of MEAL within the organization.
- Set up an adequate monitoring and evaluation system applicable for the whole Country Program and Regions for direct and indirect implementation the latter through established and new partner organizations.
- Ensure implementation of high-quality MEAL process and ensure delivery of adequate MEAL products at the Country Programme.
- Support in beneficiary verification and assist in preparing tools for data collection.
- Support implementation of electronic, mobile data collection systems and tools (e.g. KoBo) and ensure effective data management.
- Help design and review data collection/tracking tools/formats/databases to ensure data quality, reliability and consistency throughout project implementation. Support project teams in implementing innovative solutions and assist in setting it up, e.g. Humansis (Beneficiary Management System).
- Support project staff in needs assessments studies; assist in designing the tools for needs assessment and support in carrying out quantitative data collection exercises.
- Ensure the Community Feedback and Response Mechanism is established and adjusted to the changing context and follows best practice.
Support learning, capacity building and facilitate quality improvement in relation to domain of MEAL:
- Carry out or assist in trainings, learning events in regards to MEAL and contribute to MEAL team members capacity development, including trainings for enumerators and MEAL officers.
- Promote internal learning via sharing findings from MEAL activities and reflection on lessons learned related to MEAL domain.
- Support partners where applicable to develop their MEAL capacities.
Establish appropriate MEAL Team structure to adapt to the changing context and operational environment;
- Manage and supervise MEAL team at the Country Programme
- Review existing structure dedicated to MEAL; set objectives for the employees; assess the workload and performance of MEAL employees.
- Facilitate recruitment of staff dedicated for MEAL processes.
- Update job description of MEAL staff and in cooperation and support of Programs Director and Emergency Coordinator
- Provide MEAL related inputs to project proposal, review the logframe/Theory of Change (ToC) and the logic of intervention and contribute to proposal writing to ensure resources for MEAL tasks/processes, including the relevant budgeting of MEAL necessary costs.
Verify, consult, participate and assist in establishing the division of roles at the Country Programme in Ukraine between MEAL and other departments.
What you should fulfill:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in social development, social studies or equivalent
- Experience in the NGO field with a focus on emergency programs
- Minimum 5 years of management and/or MEAL experience
- Experience with transfer of knowledge, organizing trainings or mentoring
- Planning & Organizing – Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including ability to explain and present complex information and prepare written documents/communications in a clear, concise style
- Ability to undertake regular field visits
- Teamwork – Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Excellent command of English.
What we can offer:
- Work experience with professional and flexible NGO, the largest one in Central-Eastern Europe
- Salary as per PIN salary scale (subsistence allowance of 1 200 EUR is already included): between 3450 – 3850 EUR gross depending on previous experience, plus a hardship allowance of 400 EUR
- Accommodation and local transport cost covered
- 2 flights to home country covered per year
- Cost of visas and Vaccination covered
- 25 days of Holidays per year
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on-line
- Travel Insurance
- Participation in enriching annual meetings off all senior staff field in Prague
- Extra benefits for long term employees
- Sick days
- E-learning platform
- Language courses available
How to apply
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).