International Development Law Organization
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development, and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website, www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
The Department of Programmes is the central management and coordinating function for programme delivery and capacity development. It is responsible for the implementation of IDLO’s global programme portfolio for field and non-field locations in line with organizational strategy. IDLO’s Strategy incorporates gender sensitivity and responsiveness among IDLO’s core values and guiding principles. It emphasizes gender as both a cross-cutting theme in IDLO’s work and the focus of distinct programming, research, and advocacy.
The Gender and Land specialist will be based in Tunis, Tunisia, primarily providing technical guidance to IDLO staff and pertinent stakeholders. In this role, the specialist will support the implementation of a project on access to land and credit, ensuring the incorporation of gender considerations across a broad spectrum of project activities.
The specialist will collaborate closely with both internal and external stakeholders, and they will report to the Field Programme Manager. Furthermore, they will maintain strong collaboration with the relevant staff at the Country Office and work in close collaboration with the Senior Programme Coordinator at the headquarters.
The Gender and Land Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Conduct thorough gender-sensitive assessments during the project’s start-up phase, taking into account the complex gender dynamics and power structures that impact women’s economic empowerment and employment opportunities. These assessments should specifically address challenges faced by women throughout the land consolidation process, including issues related to land disputes, decision-making processes, ownership certificates, and access to credit.
- Develop targeted strategies and interventions based on the findings of the gender-sensitive assessments. These strategies should be designed to actively promote gender equality, empower women, and enhance their economic opportunities within land consolidation processes.
- Collaborate closely with local stakeholders involved in the project to ensure that awareness-raising and community engagement activities are designed and implemented to address women’s specific needs and requirements, as identified in the assessments.
- Support the development of tools and training activities that address gender considerations in the resolution of land disputes.
- Support the development of a legislative reform roadmap that prioritizes changes aimed at facilitating women’s access to land within land consolidation process. This may encompass advocating for broader safeguards for women’s land rights and the acknowledgment of rights for women married in community property on ownership certificates.
- Support the designing and implementation of training and advisory services that offer direct financial and legal aid to women entrepreneurs, primarily those leading cooperatives, SMSAs, other SMEs, and GDA.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Experience
- University degree in social sciences, land governance, economics, law, rural development, human rights or other relevant disciplines.
- Five years of relevant experience in analysing and integrating gender dimensions into policy and programme formulation and implementation, particularly in the context of agriculture, rural development and land rights.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, French and Arabic is essential.
Specific knowledge, skills and behavioral competencies
- Demonstrated ability in designing and implementing gender-based research, assessments, and strategies.
- Proven ability to develop concrete work plans and manage tasks, teams, people, funds, products, and other elements so that work is performed according to agreed budgets, schedules, delivery requirements, and staffing plans.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this locally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and funding availability.
In addition, IDLO shall offer a yearly basic salary of USD 29,000 medical insurance, and leave entitlements, including in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
This local position is open to candidates who are nationals of the duty station or with permanent resident status or other legal authorization permitting them to work in the duty station. An employee subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international employees.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications from qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
Application deadline: 15 February 2024 (23:59hrs Rome Time)
How to apply