International Organization for Migration
Position Title : Finance Officer
Duty Station : Maputo, Mozambique
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer in Maputo, Mozambique, and in cooperation with the relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), administrative Centres (Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) and Panama Administrative Centre (PAC)) and Regional Resources Management Unit in Regional Office (RO) Pretoria, South Africa, the incumbent is responsible and accountable for supporting the management and coordination of the administrative and financial, functions of both Maputo Country Office and Beira sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Monitor and coordinate the financial management functions in support of all activities for the Maputo country Office and Beira sub-office.
2. Assist in monitoring the financial management including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability to ensure expenditures remain within authorized levels; undertake financial analysis of projects in the sub-offices and recommend the resolution of anomalies and unusual trends.
3. Assist the Resources Management Officer (RMO) in preparation of annual budget; coordinate and review budgets for programmes, monitor budget control and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures, evaluate monthly financial reports for all projects and recommend the resolution of variances.
4. Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the sub-offices and ensuring daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
5. Support the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures in close coordination with the RMO as well as relevant Units or RO. Monitor compliance with general instructions of IOM and relevant mission permanent instructions in the areas of general administration and finance and bring issues of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor.
6. Train sub-offices support staff on IOM’s policies and procedures in the relevant areas of financial management.
7. Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
8. Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud; strengthen internal controls by documenting and proposing the streamlining of approval processes in the sub-offices.
9. Review existing systems and procedures and, if necessary, recommend possible improvements to strengthen internal monitoring, evaluation and control systems and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
10. Work closely with other internal functional units of the Mission and other institutional counterparts/stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
11. Support the Head of Sub Offices (HoSO) in Beira to facilitate compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Financial Management, Accounting, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience;
• Professional certification as Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Work experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
• Experience in preparing clear and concise financial and management reports;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as working in and with international institutions.
• Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
• Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP is highly desirable;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting systems, software and procedures, Common System regulations, policies and procedures are a distinct advantage;
• Good knowledge of general human resources management is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
This position will be covering for both Maputo and Beira sub-offices.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 17.06.2022 to 30.06.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 185 Finance Officer (P2) Maputo, Mozambique (57633349) Released
Posting: Posting NC57633350 (57633350) Released