Danish Refugee Council
Overall purpose of the role:
The DRC Somalia Programme is the largest programme in the EAGL region. DRC is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub-offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiraan Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region, and Banadir Region.
The Finance Manager will ensure that all financial functions in the DRC Somalia Country programme including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, grant financial management, and compliance are adhered to effectively and in a timely manner. The Finance Manager ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as DRC’s internal policies and procedures and provides support to the program management teams as required.
Accounting and Treasury
- Oversee and manage daily accounting and finance functions including the timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll, receivables, payables, and timely updating in DRC Dynamics
- Maintain banking relations and plan/monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of DRC programs.
- With the support of Country Finance staff regularly monitor cash requirements and ensure adequate cash flow planning and management to support program requirements.
- Coordinate with country Finance staff to organize & submit Finance supporting documents for DRC and partners in relevant archives (One drive/Share point etc.,) according to DRC Somalia/RO/HQ requirements.
- To monitor cash flow and liquidity of the DRC country program and to ensure adequate funds are available in Area bank accounts.
- As a super user for DRC Dynamics, oversee the finance functionalities in DRC Dynamics and update all staff on new developments.
- Ensure effective management of month-end process and timely clearance of balance sheet accounts.
- To prepare donor financial reports for RO/HQ review and ensure timely submission to the donors, ensuring the quality of the reports.
- Provide monthly management reports which will include expenditures by project, sub grantee or Partners’ reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner and any other report as requested by the Country Director, Head of Support Service, Regional Office, HQ etc.,
- Ensure partners’ financial reporting and compliance are in place and technical assistance to partners is provided as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Ensure Finance KPI reporting is maintained and high-risk areas are addressed on time.
Budget, Financial Management, and Control
- Ensure overall budgeting and control of expenditures for direct and shared operational costs as well as coordination of budgeting and expenditure related to programme implementation.
- Implement relevant financial control tools within the country programme.
- Develop budgets for new project proposals and budget revision in collaboration with the AM and Program Managers.
- Ensure timely projects are set up in the DRC Dynamics system and revisions as required.
- Prepare and maintain up-to-date Master budgets in collaboration with the Area Manager and Country Management.
- Implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems for all DRC projects with the assistance of Area Managers/Program Managers and relevant team members.
- Plan and maintain oversight of co-funding requirements and share an overview with Country Management and Region on a quarterly basis
- Support audits (in-country, external), and coordinate with area offices/RO/HQ to compile documents required by the auditors. If required coordinate with the auditors (based on the request of the Compliant Specialist) on the audit process.
- Capacity building of Finance team to continuously improve standards.
- With the support of Country Finance Coordinators/Specialists, perform regular internal Finance Compliance Reviews (As per Operations Handbook) and reviews as required to ensure compliance with DRC and donor requirements.
- Monitor systems for financial operations in the main programme offices and in field offices in accordance with the DRC Operations handbook, Field Finance Manual, and donor regulations, including systems for cash flow management, budgeting, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting & financial recordkeeping.
- Provide Technical support to Area Finance Coordinators/Officers and other program staff as and when required as “Technical Focal Point” for the Finance department.
- Report to the Head of Support Service of any irregularities that occur within the DRC office, staff compound, and sites on DRC Donor policy and procedures.
- Support Head of Support Service to identify the gaps in Finance policies to Develop local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters
- Ensure compliance with local laws and tax obligations as well as regular communication of the same to the relevant teams.
- Coordinate with the HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid in a timely manner to the relevant departments. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or Five years DRC experience in Finance/Accounting work.
- At least 8 years’ experience working with NGOs or other international agencies.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas) & ERP Systems (ie: Microsoft Dynamics)
- Experience in preparation of Donor budget and reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN/DFID donors.
- Strong information technology skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups and nationalities.
- Good management skills.
- Ability to prepare training modules on accounting management and conduct training for Finance and Non-Finance staff.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles.
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
- Experience in leading the implementation of operational improvements and the persistence to achieve change in a challenging environment.
- Ability to operate and think strategically, coupled with proven analytical skills and the use of these to problem solve and make firm decisions.
- Aptitude and openness to change, with an ability to lead change management.
Contract: One Year Contract with the possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment Management Band F.
Availability: 15th July 2022.
Duty station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Reporting Line: Head of Support Services
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
How to apply
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 23rd June 2022