Colleges and Institutes Canada
Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is implementing a number of projects related to youth skills development in Kenya in collaboration with the Ministry of Education (MOE) and other partners. The following projects are currently being implemented:
- Launched on 20th June 2019 by the President of Kenya, H.E. Uhuru Kenyatta, Young Africa Works-Kenya is a partnership between the Mastercard Foundation, the private sector and the Government of Kenya to improve employment outcomes in the country. As a key strategic component of Young Africa Works, the Young Africa Works-Kenya/TVET Program (YAW-K-TVET) will strengthen the quality of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions and systems in Kenya. YAW-K-TVET is a 5-year program (2020-2025) implemented by CICan in close collaboration with the Ministry of Education, other relevant Government of Kenya agencies, and the private sector. YAW-K-TVET will work through a partner-driven participatory approach focusing on developing 26 Centres of Excellence (COEs) as model institutions that will increase the participation of young Kenyans, particularly women, in market-relevant skills training programs to ultimately increase the number of youth in dignified and fulfilling work in the Big Four and digital sectors.
- The Kenya Blue Economy Skills Training Program (KBEST) is a 7-year (2022-2029) program implemented by Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) and funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). KBEST has a strong focus on increasing the equitable participation of girls and women, youth, and vulnerable populations in the Blue Economy. KBEST works in collaboration with the Kenyan Ministry of Education, Ministry of Mining, Blue Economy and Maritime Affairs, county governments, civil society, and industry; working with 24 Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions in the Coast and Lake Victoria regions of Kenya. It will share the expertise of Canada’s colleges and institutes in linking young women and young men, educational institutions, and employers to develop competency-based education and training for employment programs in Kenya around the Blue Economy.
The Finance Assistant will be responsible for processing day-to-day financial transactions, maintaining accurate financial records including all requisite supporting documentation, recording transactions in the projects’ financial journals, allocating transactions to the general ledger accounts, preparing monthly financial reports, processing, and tracking staff advances, and ensuring that all financial data is organized and up to date. The Finance Assistant will work closely with the Finance Officer to process payments, manage invoices, ensure legal requirements compliance, and comply with all required tax and other statutory requirements.
The Finance Assistant will work under the supervision of the Finance Officer, in close collaboration with the Human Resources and Administration Manager. The Finance assistant will be responsible for supporting CICan Nairobi’s office financial services.
Assist in Maintaining Financial Records and Documentation:
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial records, including income, expenses, and transactions.
- Support finance team in consolidating and arranging of financial documents, making retrieval efficient and audit- ready.
Support the Finance Team in Processing Invoices, Receipts, and Payments:
- Collaborate with team members to handle the timely processing of invoices from vendors and service providers.
- Verify receipts and facilitate the smooth execution of payment disbursements, maintaining a record of transactions.
Assist with Staff Advances and Accountabilities:
- Administer and monitor staff advances, ensuring proper documentation, utilization, and timely settlement.
- Maintain accurate records of staff financial accountabilities, facilitating transparent and accountable financial practices.
- Assist staff in reconciling their personal financial accounts, providing necessary support and guidance.
Assist in Reconciling Supplier Statements
- Reconcile supplier statements with organization records, promptly addressing any discrepancies.
Contribute to the Month-End and Year-End Financial Closing Processes:
- Support the finance team in the month-end and year-end financial closing procedures, ensuring all accounts are accurately reconciled and financial statements are prepared in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with the finance team to facilitate audits and financial reviews as needed.
Assist in Compliance with Organization Policies and Reporting Requirements:
- Support the finance team in ensuring adherence to organizational financial policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Custodian of Assets:
- Work together with the Procurement Officer to ensure asset register and accounts for all property that is provided to staff and partners are maintained and updated regularly.
Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Kenyan citizen or legally permitted to work in Kenya.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related subject area (accounting, business or similar).
- CPA II or equivalent qualification is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in financial and accounting processes.
- Experience working on international development projects with an international organization is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel where advanced knowledge is expected.
- Demonstrated ability using QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Demonstrated competence in the planning, implementation, administration, and reporting of donor-funded projects.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work effectively and efficiently under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team.
- Strong writing, computer, and data skills.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV with three references as one PDF file not exceeding 8 pages to email address [email protected] with the title on the subject line, Finance Assistant**.** The deadline for receiving applications is 20th February 2024.
Phone calls or in-person visits will not be accepted. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Deadline: 20 Feb 2024