American Red Cross
The American Red Cross International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. The American Red Cross continues to deepen and expand its international programming while also working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent Network to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
In response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Ukraine and neighboring countries, the American Red Cross has activated a Response Management Team (RMT) and is building a program to support response activities in Ukraine and impacted countries. The American Red Cross International Response and Recovery Unit is seeking an experienced Field Representative to develop and implement humanitarian assistance activities and objectives, in accordance with American Red Cross response plans, and in support of the RCRC movement-wide operation.
The Field Representative works closely with the International Federation of Red Cross/Red Crescent (IFRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), relevant Red Cross and Red Crescent (RCRC) National Societies and other international government and non-governmental partners, institutional authorities and donors, to ensure coordination and optimal harmonization of strategies. The Field Representative ensures efficient, high-quality program management, and compliance with administrative and financial procedures. The Field Representative ensures effective coordination and planning to support the overall programmatic strategy of the RCRC.
This position is based in Budapest, Hungary and includes up to 50% travel to project sites. The position reports to the Response and Recovery Programs Director and works collaboratively with the ISD National Headquarters staff. Additional duties may be assigned as the operational need dictates
This is a full-time position for a minimum of 365 days with the possibility of extension. This is an accompanied post.
- Build positive working relations with relative Red Cross Movement partners, external partner agencies, and stakeholders that actively contribute to the response effort.
- Design, develop, and execute the American Red Cross response plan for the Ukraine Operation. Ensure that the American Red Cross Ukraine response plan is well integrated and aligned with other relevant plans and response activities.
- Assess, analyze, and inform relevant internal and external leadership/partners regarding evolving needs, social, political, and economic trends that may trigger plan adaptation. Advise, consult, and make changes as required.
- Manage the successful implementation of the approved plans on time, scope, and budget. Ensure the early detection of potential critical issues that might affect the quality and compliance of all programs.
- Supervise and manage project-based field staff and ensure that all staff have appropriate training, clear position descriptions, and assigned roles & responsibilities that allow them to play a functional role to execute the general strategy and adhere to program quality, fiscal and compliance requirements.
- Promote the institutional development of all partner national societies through a supportive working relationship.
- Ensure planning, budgeting, and reporting is executed in accordance with American Red Cross standards and procedures.
- In As part of the International Response and Recovery Program team, , support global disaster monitoring and response planning as directed
- Collaborate with Quality, Data, and Learning (QDL) team to 1) ensure organizational learning, 2) ensure utilization of best practices and, 3) maintain quality standards and norms across the organization.
- Ensure project design aligns with American Red Cross ISD program objectives and industry standards
- Design and implement full cycle of program management to ensure each project is brought to closure
- Bachelor’s degree in international studies, business management, public administration, or relevant field of study.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in international disaster management and risk reduction experience in developing countries.
- Prior overseas/field experience with Red Cross/Red Crescent and/or other international NGO.
- Knowledge of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, international relief and development principles and operations management
- A minimum three years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent leadership skills to include team building, teamwork, and commitment to the American Red Cross principles.
- Evidence of experience in successful program design, proposal development, and grant management and evidence of delivering projects on time, scope and budget.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and effective interpersonal skills.
- Must display flexibility, adaptability, initiative, results oriented behavior.
- Ability to use computers and related technology. Proficiency in computer operating systems, specifically MS Office
- Preferred: MA in international studies, business management, public administration, or relevant field preferred.
- Experience in Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement disaster operations management is preferred