Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Germany
Department – Program
Country (ies) – South Sudan
Duty Station – Terekeke, Bor south, Magwi, Torit , Kajo Keji
Expected Start Date – 1st March, 2024
Duration of Contract – 12 months
Reporting to – Project Manager
Contract Type – This is a National Position
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières – Germany (VSF Germany) is a non-governmental, non-profit making international Organization, engaged in the field of veterinary relief and development work providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. With support in animal health, agriculture, marketing, and food safety, VSFG works towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities. VSF Germany implements activities in Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, Uganda and Somalia.
VSF Germany seeks to recruit a qualified and well experienced staff for the position of Environment and Social Safeguards Officer to be based at VSF Germany office at the field location, South Sudan. The holder of this position will have an overall environmental and social safeguards oversight for all projects implemented in South Sudan Country Program under VSF Germany. The pay range for this position attracts a maximum of $1,500 per month gross with placement determined by the level of experience as assessed during the recruitment process. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
This position will be assigned the following duties and responsibilities:
- Review and analyze project proposals to identify potential environmental and social risks.
- Conduct field visits to project sites to assess compliance with ESMF and safeguard policies.
- Collaborate with project teams to develop and implement mitigation measures.
- Prepare environmental and social impact assessments and management plans.
- Provide guidance to project manager and PMT on safeguard-related matters.
- Engage with local communities, Community Based Organizations and Common Interest Groups, and other stakeholders.
- Monitor project implementation and evaluate safeguard performance.
- Report on safeguard compliance to relevant authorities and donors.
- Contribute to capacity-building workshops and training sessions.
Experience, skills and knowledge requirements
- A degree in environmental science, social sciences, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in environmental and social safeguard assessments.
- Knowledge of international safeguard standards (e.g., IFAD, World Bank).
- Strong analytical, communication, and teamwork skills.
- Proficiency in relevant software and tools.
Administratively, the position reports to the Project Manager.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter indicating current pay and CV plus 3 names of referees (one of them being their immediate supervisor) with their full contacts through: https://forms.gle/b57Yz9yMRk4pNLQX8 Indicate the job Title ‘Environment and Social Safeguard Officer on the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is 16th February, 2024. VSF Germany is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DON’T SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees, or recommendation letter as you will provide them up on request only. Make sure you also clearly state the job position on the cover of envelop and or application letter.
Due to the urgency, assessments of the applications will be an ongoing basis as applications are received.
VSF Germany does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.