The DanChurchAid / Norwegian Church Aid joint Palestine Programme is recruiting an experienced Emergency WASH Coordinator. The position is international, initially based in Amman, Jordan.
DCA/ NCA joint Country Programme in Palestine (JCPP) is looking for a highly motivated and qualified individual for the role of International Emergency WASH Coordinator to contribute to its response to the Humanitarian situation in Gaza.
About Dan Church Aid (DCA) and Norwegian Church Aid (NCA).
DanChurchAid (DCA) and Norwegian Church Aid have worked with partners in Palestine since the 1950s. The two organisations joined their programmes to form the Joint Country Programme (JCPP) in 2016 to contribute to the goals of fighting extreme inequality, building resilient communities, and saving lives in the occupied Palestinian territories. The JCPP is supported by and manages contracts from various institutional and private donors including Denmark, Norway, the European Union, and the UN. DCA/NCA joint office is located in East Jerusalem, with a field office in Gaza.
The purpose of the position is to spearhead the WASH component of the JCPP response to the ongoing war in Gaza. To achieve this, the JCPP seeks an experienced WASH expert with strong analytical, technical, fundraising and representation skills to join the dynamic JCPP team. As the Emergency WASH expert, you will lead and coordinate high-quality programming under the JCPP’s response to the humanitarian needs in Gaza.
The WASH Coordinator will work closely with the DCA/NCA team, partners of the JCPP, the WASH cluster, relevant donors and other stakeholders.
The Emergency WASH Coordinator will work directly under the supervision of the Head of Programme (HoP). The position will:
- Provide strategic guidance and technical support and advice to DCA/NCA JCPP and implementing partners to plan, design, implement, monitor, and report on emergency WASH response activities that are appropriate and relevant to the context, both through national partners and, if necessary, through direct implementation.
- Lead coordination, information sharing and representation in WASH Cluster meetings, related Technical Working Groups, and relevant networks on the regional, national, and sub-national levels.
- Raise funds for WASH activities. Identify funding opportunities and position the JCPP to be a competitive partner for existing and new donors. Ensure high-quality technical inputs to the development of funding proposals and in the engagement with existing and new donors.
- Ensure that WASH program design and delivery is flexible and adaptable to contextual challenges and that activities enhance JCP’s capacity and effectiveness to deliver integrated humanitarian programming (especially GBV, protection and Cash).
Key qualifications / Experience expected/ Education:
We are looking for a highly driven, intelligent, organised and robust person with deep contextual understanding, excellent facilitation, representation, communication and collaboration skills.
- Relevant education in WASH such as water/waste management/sanitation engineering, environmental engineering or a related environmental or engineering fields.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience in WASH programming, including a minimum of three (3) years managing emergency WASH programs in humanitarian contexts. Experience working with local partners is a significant advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to develop WASH analyses and strategies in emergency contexts.
- Advanced understanding and experience in cash programming.
- Excellent ability to develop detailed projects’ plans, including goals, objectives, timelines, and budgets. Demonstrated successful experience in writing WASH concept notes and proposals in emergency situations to a variety of donors.
- Ensuring that projects’ deliverables meet the required quality standards, including relevant policies, regulations, and guidelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate, work in teams and network, including a good understanding of the WASH cluster and humanitarian structure.
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise, remain responsive, and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure.
- Experience in managing risks, including in developing risk management plans and mitigation measures.
- Self-motivation, creativity, and an ability to perform individually and as part of a team.
- Fluency in English.
- Previous working experience in Palestine or the Middle East.
- Arabic speaking.
- Meaningful, professional, dynamic, and pleasant workplace.
- A six-months full-time contract renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
- Workstation: The position will initially be based in Amman, Jordan, with extensive regional travels expected depending on possibilities, including to Jerusalem and to Gaza.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with DCA’s Terms of Employment for international staff. A competitive package for salary, allowances and benefits is offered.
To apply for this position:
To apply, please upload your CV and a cover letter that includes your motivation and capacity for the role no later than 18th February 2024 at 23:59. Use the following link: Emergency WASH Coordinator, Palestine Programme I DanchurchAid (emply.com).
Interviews and test will be online. First interviews are expected to be held on Thursday 22nd of February. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the closing date. Candidates selected to next stages will be invited to a test expected to be on Monday 26th February and to a second interview expected to be on Wednesday 28th February.
For more information, please contact DCA Country Director, Mr. Mads Frilander, at [email protected].
Start date is as early as possible in March 2024.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, abilities or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us. Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Code of Conduct, Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.
How to apply