Save the Children
The Opportunity – EHU Field Hospital Pediatric Nurse
Post location: Gaza Field Office
Contract Duration and Level of Effort: 3 months with possible extension
The Pediatric Nurse will work with the Clinical Lead, Pediatrician and the rest of the clinical team in Gaza to comply with program nursing standard operating procedures, supporting emergency preparedness activities and will assume responsibility for nursing activities in the pediatric ward and urgent care, labor and delivery areas within the response under the guidance of the pediatrician or general practitioner with pediatric expertise. They will work together with the rest of the nursing and midwifery team to ensure that quality standards for nursing care of patients are met.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Field Hospital Clinical Lead (or designated other).
Staff reporting to this post: TBC (To be confirmed).
Budget Responsibilities: None.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The pediatric nurse will manage the day-to-day nursing activities of the Field Hospital. This will involve supporting primary emergency and ambulatory care, inpatient care, as well as infectious disease care with oversight of infection control and prevention measures.
Nursing activities for specific modules:
- Provide essential newborn care.
- Recognise a deteriorating new-born and initiate neonatal resuscitation for cases that require it.
- Identify complicated cases in new-borns and call the paediatrician on call for management if necessary.
- Ensure that delivery rooms have the necessary medications, supplies and medical equipment for the first care of the new-born.
- Placement of intravenous catheter and management of intravenous fluids according to protocol based on clinical diagnosis. Collect samples for laboratory analysis requested by the paediatrician.
- Identify cases requiring referral to other levels of care. Escalate where necessary and support in the referral pathway process.
- Perform the correct documentation of all processes in the clinical record.
- Registration, performing triage, nutritional review, vital signs of paediatric patients presenting to the unit.
- Identification of severely/critically unwell patients and escalation as per existing pathways and triage tools.
- Taking vitals and monitoring paediatric patients who are critically ill and require stabilization prior to transfer.
- Health education session to patients and caretakers awaiting care.
- Placement of intravenous catheter and management of intravenous fluids according to protocol based on clinical diagnosis.
- Injections and dressings, wound dressings as required in the unit.
- Identify referral pathways for paediatric patients requiring higher level of care.
- As a dispenser in pharmacy, you will prepare medications and explain to patients and caretakers how they should be taken.
- Keep patients and their families informed of the disease and treatment to be followed, checking that they have been understood and that patients/families consent to treatment.
- Maintain accurate records of patient diagnosis and treatments.
- Maintain the state of the beds and manage their occupancy.
- Perform rounds of the hospital wards, monitoring the condition of paediatric patients.
- Take vital signs according to the follow-up indicated by the physician on duty and check the general condition of the patient, properly recording everything in the patient’s file and reporting any eventuality to the physician on duty.
- Ensure the rational use of medicines and the proper administration of treatment (following five rights approach)
- Monitoring and recording of Paediatric Early Warning Scores, early recognition of patient deterioration and escalation as per existing pathways.
- Administer medications and collect samples for laboratory analysis indicated by the physicians and correctly record these activities in the clinical file.
- Identify complicated cases or those showing clinical deterioration and inform the physician for evaluation.
- Ensure management of children with malnutrition in line with malnutrition treatment/management protocols and guidelines
- Ensure proper discharge care of patients with correct documentation, information, and follow-up.
- Deliver medications upon discharge of patients and explain to patients’ caretakers how they should be taken.
- Health education session and other topics of interest to hospitalized patients.
- Ensure proper documentation of patient care.
- Oversee nursing care of the facility or outbreak control unit.
- Maintain bed status and manage bed occupancy.
- Ensure that clinical assistants are working according to protocols. Ensure basic nursing needs of patients are met.
- Ensure hygiene and infection control standards, contextualizing PPE and precaution needs based on aetiology of the outbreak.
- Establish intravenous access and manage intravenous fluids according to protocol based on clinical diagnosis and prescription of medications according to protocol, calling physicians only for emergency care.
- Ensure proper hygiene education and support health promotion teams with WASH team.
- Ensure proper documentation and reporting.
- Ensure proper patient discharge care with correct documentation, reporting and follow-up, ensuring patients’ caretakers understand prescriptions and recommendations.
- Assist the physician and clinical lead as requested.
- Will keep and maintain records of dressings, medications, medical supplies and other duties.
- Performs a daily count of medications used to ensure that minimum stock is maintained and that medications are ordered from the pharmacy as needed.
- Ensure that high levels of infection prevention and control are maintained by monitoring the level of cleanliness of the unit.
- Assist in providing weekly medication consumption and unit activity reports.
- Participate in the preparation of the weekly team report when requested.
- Will assist in emergency response to disease outbreaks as needed.
- Ensure that all consultations with patients are conducted in a dignified and appropriate manner, in accordance with the standards and principles established by the Save the Children
- Ensure that systems are in place to strictly maintain patient confidentiality.
- Ensure that patient records and clinical records are completed in accordance with the requirements of Save the Children and the Ministry of Health in country.
- Ensure the use of established reporting formats for data collection, analysis and reporting of daily and weekly activities to the clinical lead as required and follow reportable disease protocols as directed by the clinical lead.
- Ensure the implementation of health education and promotion activities in close coordination with the WASH manager. Line management responsibilities will be context dependent.
- Ensure accountability activities as per protocol and beneficiary feedback.
- Document and notify any medical incidents or near misses according to Save the Children International procedures (using Datix system or manual notification).
- Any other duties as assigned by the team leader and clinical lead.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practices regarding child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunity and other relevant policies and procedures.
In order to be successful, you will bring/have:
- Essential nursing qualification or specialization. Desired bachelor’s in nursing.
- Registered as Paediatric Nurse, licensed by a recognized institute in his/her country of residence.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Arabic speaker in a clinical setting
- Minimum of three months’ work/volunteering in Field hospital or Low middle Income Countries (LMIC) in a complex humanitarian setting
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote and insecure locations for periods of time and on short notice.
- Strong communication skills, with an excellent level of spoken and written English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to work and maintain a positive team dynamic in an insecure environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to reflect and learn from personal and program performance and act on lessons learned.
- Experience in Paediatric Nursing and Paediatric Emergency Nursing.
- Previous experience of NGO work in humanitarian settings.
- Experience of living or working a conflict environment
- Experience of working in a district hospital or higher level of care in the pediatric ward and paediatrics emergencies.
- Experience working in treatment centers/units, secondary care units and emergency medical management.
- Experience in other relevant area: general practice, general medicine, or nutrition
- Strong knowledge of Save the Children systems and ways of working.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions. Application will be reviewed and selected on a rolling basis.
Save the Children promotes a diverse and inclusive work environment, women and people with different abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Save the Children works in development and humanitarian contexts with children and partners to help families, communities, and governments identify and use innovations to ensure all children survive, learn and are protected.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
How to apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://hcri.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/job/5977/?utm_medium=jobshare
If you’re unable to apply through the website, please submit your full application through email [email protected] , or WhatsApp number:+970592973634 reflecting the position name you’re applying to.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Deadline: 8 Feb 2024