Save the Children
The Opportunity – EHU Field Hospital Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Post location: Gaza Field Office.
Contract Duration and Level of Effort: 3 months with possible extension
The Gynecologist and Obstetrician will be part of the technical leadership of the health programme, with special focus on Sexual Reproductive Health in close collaboration local health authorities, SRH working group and community members. Furthermore, the role is expected to engage with internal and external technical working groups and communities of practice. The Obs/Gyn will work closely with the Pediatrician, Anesthesiologist, operating theatre staff and midwives, and will have direct communication with the other members of the clinical team.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Field Hospital Clinical Lead (or designated other).
Staff reporting to this post: TBC (To be confirmed).
Budget Responsibilities: None.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- To provide obstetric consultations, treatment, and follow up services according to internationally accepted standards (World Health Organization/ Ministry of Health/ Save the Children International) ensuring patients are treated in a dignified and caring manner.
- Competent in the provision of wider reproductive health services e.g. family planning (including post-partum family planning and permanent methods), clinical management of rape, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) treatment, etc.
- Provide high quality care for patients based on their history, appropriate physical examination, available laboratory test, imaging tests, and formulary for treatment of acute and chronic conditions, including utilizing appropriate checklists and ensuring adequate pre-operative and post-operative care for emergency surgeries.
- Participate in maternal and neonatal mortality and near miss case reviews.
- Provide post abortion and safe abortion care according to national/ local protocols and laws.
- In the Inpatient unit, conduct daily rounds on patients, initiate case discussions, monitor and document patient progress with any changes in management and prognosis and ensure adequate handover.
- Competent at management of all obstetrical emergencies (BEmONC and CEmONC)
- Ensure identification and facilitation of referral pathways, including safe patient transfer, accurate documentation and patient follow up, adhered to Save the Children protocols.
- Ensure notifiable disease reporting and follow-up system is used if required.
- Ensure clinical governance systems are in place.
- Utilize data collection tools and ensure patients records and clinic registers are completed according to both Save the Children international and Ministry of Health requirements.
- Complete standardized internal reporting as required.
- Manage and supervise other clinical staff as required; participate in hiring process if needed.
- Identify training needs and capacity gaps of the team, provide relevant on-job training as required.
- Supervision and mentorship of clinical staff, including regular case discussions as part of hands-on training.
- Ensure the timely, complete, and quality collection of the required reporting requests by the MEAL team, including support with any patient feedback mechanisms, audits, and quality of care checklists.
- Ensures patient data protection and confidentiality of patient data.
- Actively participate in any internal meetings and any other relevant external meetings as required.
- Adhere to and report any medical incident through the Save the Children DATIX reporting system.
- Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. A good understanding of the Save the Children’s mandate and child focus.
- Understanding what we mean by risk, and by identifying, reporting, and managing the risks associated with your role; and
- Operating within the policies, procedures and controls set out by Save the Children.
In order to be successful, you will bring/have:
- Medical degree with specialization in Gynecology and Obstetrics, with current registration to practice in country of residence.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Up to date evidence of current licence and registration to practice.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience practising independently as a Gynecologist and Obstetrician (i.e., does not require supervision)
- Arabic speaker in a clinical setting
- Minimum of three months’ work/volunteering in Field hospital or Low middle Income Countries (LMIC) in a complex humanitarian setting
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote and insecure locations for periods of time and on short notice.
- Willingness to work in unstable areas.
- Previous experience of managing obstetric complications often associated with humanitarian emergencies e.g. management of infectious diseases in pregnancy, clinical management of rape etc.
- Familiar with the Minimum Initial Service Package (MISP) for reproductive health in humanitarian settings
- Advanced life support, paediatric life support and neonatal life support trained or their equivalents.
- Strong communication skills, with an excellent level of spoken and written English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to work and maintain a positive team dynamic in an insecure environment.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently under difficult conditions.
- Flexible and able to manage stress.
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources.
- Ability to reflect and learn from personal and program performance and act on lessons learned.
- Previous experience of NGO work in humanitarian settings.
- Experience of living or working a conflict environment
- Experience supervising medical teams.
- Experience in other relevant area: Trained and experience in Psychological First Aid (PFA), general practice, general medicine, or nutrition.
- Strong knowledge of Save the Children systems and ways of working.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions. Application will be reviewed and selected on a rolling basis.
Save the Children promotes a diverse and inclusive work environment, women and people with different abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Save the Children works in development and humanitarian contexts with children and partners to help families, communities, and governments identify and use innovations to ensure all children survive, learn and are protected.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
How to apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://hcri.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/job/5969/?utm_medium=jobshare
If you’re unable to apply through the website, please submit your full application through email [email protected] , or WhatsApp number:+970592973634 reflecting the position name you’re applying to.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Deadline: 8 Feb 2024