DT Global is shaping a future where sustainable development and innovation empower individuals, communities, and nations. We work in partnership with local stakeholders to foster inclusive prosperity, social equity, and environmental stewardship. Our global team of 2,500 staff and experts work in over 90 countries to solve complex problems in the peacebuilding, governance, economic development, environment, and human development sectors. With a track record of technical excellence and more than 60 years of international development experience and relationships, we deliver innovative solutions that transform lives.
Overview: DT Global is seeking a Director of Strategic Communications to join the USAID Inclusive Resilience in Somalia (IRiS) activity. The Director of Strategic Communications will lead the strategic vision and implementation of a comprehensive communication strategy to advance the program’s objectives and enhance its viability and impact on both local and international stages. This senior leadership role will demand a visionary individual with a proven track record in communications leadership, capable of guiding the program’s strategic messaging, stakeholder engagement, brand positioning, and advocacy efforts. This role will ensure the program’s achievements and initiatives are effectively communicated, fostering engagement and support from key stakeholders, including USAID, partner organizations, government entities, and the communities we serve.
Project Background: The USAID/Somalia Inclusive Resilience in Somalia (IRiS) activity will work with the Somali government and people to ensure drought resistant agriculture and livelihood diversification for rural and urban households, as well as robust private sector engagement for inclusive economic opportunities for marginalized groups. More specifically, IRiS will provide targeted technical support and capacity building to strengthen resilience to climatic shocks for agriculture systems, increase the capacity of the private sector to include urban migrants and displaced persons, and increase marginalized households’/businesses’ access to finance and domestic remittances.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Strategic Leadership and Vision: Design and implement a forward-thinking communication strategy that aligns with the IRiS activity’s strategic objectives and long-term goals, promoting innovation in stakeholder engagement and audience communication with focus on strengthening the image of IRiS among the target groups. Lead the development and dissemination of strategic communication and knowledge management materials, ensuring alignment with USAID’s mission and the program’s objectives. Proactively engage a wide range of audiences with tailored messages and materials.
- Stakeholder Engagement and Partnership Development: Build and maintain strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, including USAID representatives, governmental agencies, media partners, and civil society organizations, to enhance collaboration and support for the IRiS activity. Serve as the primary point of communication with USAID, ensuring activities are in line with USAID priorities and adhere to branding and communication guidelines.
- Brand and Reputation Management: Direct the formulation and execution of branding strategies to establish a cohesive and strong identity for the IRiS activity. Manage crisis communications and address sensitive issues to safeguard and improve the program’s reputation. Represent IRiS at high-profile events and meetings, and coordinate with institutional and private sector partners to enhance visibility and ensure alignment of efforts.
- Strategic Content Development and Dissemination: Oversee the creation and distribution of impactful content that showcases the program’s successes and transformative stories. Tailor content distribution strategies to different platforms and target audiences, maximizing reach and engagement.
- Capacity Building and Team Leadership: Mentor and develop the communications team, promoting a culture of excellence, collaboration, and continuous improvement. Ensure the team is well-equipped with the necessary skills and resources to achieve strategic communication objectives effectively.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning: Implement strong monitoring and evaluation mechanisms to assess the effectiveness of communication strategies and activities, adjusting approaches based on data-driven insights to continuously improve impact. Work closely with technical and MEL teams to produce regular and ad hoc reports for USAID, incorporating high-quality MEL data to inform program decision-making.
- Innovation and Digital Strategy: Lead the adoption of innovative communication technologies and digital strategies to broaden the program’s reach and deepen engagement, including leveraging social media, digital campaigns, and multimedia content. Manage the development and updating of promotional materials to ensure consistent and accurate branding across program outputs.
- Resource Management and Budget Oversight: Manage the communications budget efficiently, allocating resources strategically to support key priorities and maximize the impact of program activities. Ensure fiscal responsibility and alignment with USAID funding guidelines and program objectives.
Education and Minimum Qualifications:
- At least a graduate degree in a relevant discipline, such as public relations, mass communications, public policy, or journalism
- Minimum five years of relevant work experience
- Experience in the design and implementation of communications strategies
- Proven experience in working with technical teams and MEL staff to develop and produce communications and outreach materials
- Experience working in complex environments, preferably with USAID programming
- Proven capacity to operate autonomously, efficiently manage time, and prioritize responsibilities
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills required
- Knowledge of the socio-economic landscape and livelihood hurdles in Somalia and analogous environments is greatly valued
- Experience in USG client relations preferred
- Evident dedication to the tenets of Gender Equity, Diversity, Inclusivity, and Belonging
- Established abilities and background in market-driven system interventions
- Proficiency in Somali is preferred
TEAMWORK: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
COMMUNICATION: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
ADAPTABILITY: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
CUSTOMER/CLIENT FOCUSED: Anticipates, monitors and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
PROFESSIONALISM: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DT Global, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. DT Global, LLC prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.
How to apply