UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
This role will operate within the Digital Marketing Team which sits in the Private Sector Partnerships (PSP).
The Digital Marketing Team (DMT) team advises on, creates and delivers digital solutions and marketing expertise for engaging with UNHCR’s primary audiences including donors, supporters, partners, governments, refugees and staff.
UNHCR is rolling out a Digital Strategy, a key objective of which is to increase traffic, engagement, private sector donations, and supporters from its global web presence/s. Strong search strategy and implementation is a critical pillar of this work (both paid and earned) alongside deep understanding of paid digital marketing and media buying techniques including social media.
The Digital Marketing Team work to transform the way we communicate and engage through digital technology and channels. Working across teams to create, build and operationalise high quality digital solutions and experiences for all UNHCR’s audiences and help deliver on UNHCR strategic direction.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Digital Engagement Officer, the Digital Paid Media Marketing Officer will deliver internal consultancy across all digital platforms to increase performance, engagement, and to agreed KPI’s. The incumbent will implement and run campaigns. S/he will deliver training, capacity building, and the sharing of digital marketing best practice across PSP and more widely across DER. S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day management of paid digital marketing campaigns for the International Hub which will include paid search, display, and social advertising. S/he will report to the Senior Digital Engagement Offer and will have line management responsibility.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Manage, test, and execute manual bidding for conversions and campaign optimisation, and other digital media buying activity via a range of tools including, Google 360 suite, Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, LI, DV360, Google Ads, Microsoft ads etc. Identifying trends and insights in order to achieve maximum ROI in paid marketing campaigns.
– Develop, analyse and report on digital marketing performance and make recommendations to improve results and reach.
– Lead internal departmental projects surrounding keyword generation, keyword optimization, brand reach, ad copy performance, and SEM reporting. Setting up and managing Paid Search campaigns via Google ads and Microsoft ads and optimising towards positive ROI.
– Plan, execute, and measure experiments and conversion tests to improve ROI
– Audience research – Work with both 1st and 3rd party data (demographic, geographic etc.) to determine the most effective approach to define and reach our target audience
– Collaborate with the internal analytics/reporting team to routinely create campaign accounts performance reports interwoven with strategic insights
– Work with the internal admin and finance teams to ensure appropriate payment to our suppliers for direct media buying
– Coordinate creative management and ad copy writing.
– Deliver and coordinate digital HQ protocol for launch of Emergency Campaigns. In the event of UNHCR declaring an Emergency for fundraising purposes, develop keyword generation, ad copy and SEO best practice guidelines for implementation and dissemination across PSP fundraising markets.
– Perform ongoing research and audits and make recommendations for keyword discovery, expansion and optimization.
– Track, report and analyse website analytics and SEM initiatives and campaigns.
– Plan, execute, and measure experiments and conversion tests to improve ROI
– Collaborate with our internal analytics/reporting team to routinely create campaign performance reports interwoven with strategic insights.
– Devise and deliver capacity building and specialist digital marketing training across the organisation including
– Responsible for maximising digital acquisition income from the pure digital English language hub including delivering paid media campaigns (from creating strategy, to setting up and running, to optimisation and evaluation, test and learn), organic traffic, donation pages, optimisation, budgeting, reporting and optimisation.
– Create donation landing pages and optimize user experience and conversion rates
– Develop, create and optimize Ad copy and landing page copy for digital marketing campaigns
– Act as main point of contact within the DMT team for all enquiries and support on SEM/SEO and Google 360 media buying tools. Work with internal teams and global offices to offer advice and ensure SEO/SEM best practices and techniques are properly implemented.
– Place and advise internal teams on paid media activity in social media platforms specifically Facebook advertising platform, Instagram, sponsored YouTube and Twitter, Paid search, Display (DV360)
– Work with internal and external teams to support the development of strategies that enable UNHCR to achieve its higher-level business goals within the social media space
– Oversee and ensure internal stakeholders receive training and capacity building on how to use direct media buying technology (Google search, social and programmatic) manage and optimize digital media campaigns, strategically grow budgets, and understand customer journeys and attribution modelling to develop in house media buying capacity.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3 – 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Digital Marketing; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Previous working experience with the Google 360 suite to include Search ads 360, Display/video 360, and Campaigns Manager.
Experience of creating and managing digital marketing campaigns.
Working knowledge of SEO techniques and how to integrate with PPC.
Experience with website analysis using a variety of analytics tools including Google Analytics as well as internal reporting tools.
Previous experience of successful copy writing including ad copy, landing pages and social.
Experience in all Social media paid campaigns including conversion and offline conversion campaigns, lead generation ads and video campaigns.
Proven track record of optimizing large and small ad network budgets.
Deep knowledge and experience of advertising platforms of all social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Experience of setting up AIB and multivariate testing.
Expertise on cross-device targeting, site re-targeting (search, social & display), behavioural advertising and contextual advertising (required).
Proven experience of delivering training and capacity building programmes.
In depth knowledge and understanding of Google AdWords, Yahoo/Bing Ads, Facebook Ads, Facebook Power Editor, Twitter Ads and Google Analytics.
Knowledge of reach, impressions, target audience compositions and circulation. As well as CPMs, CPCs, CPEs, CPVs, GRPs and how to calculate each.
Understanding KPl’s and analysis of results to identify actionable opportunities.
Strong project management skills including planning and schedule creation for digital marketing campaigns.
Excellent verbal and written skills including copy writing, with a precise attention to detail.
Experience with Direct Response campaigns is strongly preferred with experience with attribution and conversion tracking.
Experience of working with external digital marketing agencies.
Experience with 3rd party digital ad tech such as ad servers, site side analytics, DMPs, PMDs and/or multi-touch attribution.
Experience of TikTok for paid and non-paid marketing.
*PS-Google Marketing Platform
*PS-Ad serving tools
*PS-Search engine marketing (SEM)
*PS-Multichannel campaign management
PS-Advertising network (Ad networks)
PS-Advertising technology (Ad tech)
PS-Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
PS-Social Media Optimisation and Marketing (SMO)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Location: Home Based or Panama City, Panama
1. General Background
UNHCR is almost entirely funded by voluntary contributions from governments and private donors. PSP (Private Sector Partnerships) Americas is one of the five regions of the PSP Units (Europe, MENA, APAC, Africa, Americas), with the remit to increase awareness and supporter engagement and raise funds from the private sector including Individuals, Corporates and Foundations. PSP Americas has grown significantly over the years and as part of this growth has fundraising operations in USA, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, and Argentina. We have also started to expand our digital marketing fundraising and outreach activities remotely across other Spanish speaking countries in a programme we call our Latam Spanish digital hub. PSP Americas team supports our fundraising markets, regional and country office communications teams, internal HQ teams and non-fundraising teams across our region providing hands-on expertise.
UNHCR has a substantial investment program to recruit new individual donors and engage with them to maximize ongoing support and meet ambitious annual and long-term targets. One of the core objectives of our teams is to help the organization to accelerate public engagement and audience growth from digital channels through proving expert advice and direction plus more hands-on support with managing in-house digital media buying. This is in support of our global One-Billion-dollar strategy raising $1 billion USD from the private sector by 2025 and engaging with 25 million people across the world in support of the refugee cause.
This new role will work closely with our fundraising markets in Americas and specifically Mexico and Brazil, and to oversee and manage the Latam Spanish digital hub to develop, execute and implement in-house digital media buying campaigns. These campaigns are currently managed in Spanish and Portuguese. We are working towards an in-house media buying model of operation, therefore strong working knowledge of various marketing channels is critical for this position.
S/he will also support with specialist digital marketing advice when it comes to the implementation of regional digital campaigns, identifying digital tools and trends that improve UNHCR’s ability to acquire new supporters within Americas, and support with regional digital workshops and skill shares. Working closely with our regional communications team will be key to the success of this role.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The role also exists to support PSP stakeholders with strengthening their digital capacity and knowledge. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the performance of Americas teams in ensuring that regional digital fundraising targets, regional strategies, and other engagement KPIs are effectively met.
S/he will work closely with cross-functional teams, including PSP fundraising teams, regional communications teams, HQ digital and Individual giving units, marketing/data, and analysis teams, creative, and analytics, to define and execute cohesive paid media strategies across defined countries and markets.
In addition, s/he will be expected to support teams outside of PSP with practical digital advice and support, and contribute to developing and optimizing user journeys, infrastructure, and non-financial digital campaigns.
• Support Senior PSP Officer in ensuring that digital budget holders are making decisions that support the organization’s fundraising goals and KPIs in the region.
• Work with our internal admin and finance teams to ensure appropriate payment to our suppliers for direct media buying.
• Work with specified markets in Americas to contribute to the annual planning cycle, make predictions for income/donor numbers and acquisition forecasts plus media buying expenditure.
• Work with national markets in the region to define campaign goals, KPIs, and budgets, and monitor performance metrics to ensure campaigns meet objectives and drive ROI.
• Ensure channel learnings are scaled across campaigns and channels- audience approach creative, messaging, and audiences.
• Identify opportunities for A/B testing, experimentation, and new targeting strategies to improve campaign results.
• Find optimization improvements (bidding, creative, audience, or otherwise) and create a roadmap to scale.
• Lead on regional projects surrounding keyword generation, paid search keyword optimization, brand reach, ad copy performance, and SEM reporting.
• Audience research – Work with both 1st and 3rd party data (demographic, geographic etc.) to determine the most effective approach to define and reach our target audiences.
• Collaborate with our internal data teams to routinely create campaign accounts performance reports interwoven with strategic insights.
• Manage ad-hoc digital benchmarks and competitor analysis to inform market’s strategies.
Identify and establish regional partnerships with digital marketing channels, platforms, and key stakeholders in the industry, building and maintaining strong relationships with partners to ensure successful long-term collaborations.
Paid media campaigns management.
• Plan, set up and optimize digital campaigns
• Deliver and execute manual bidding for conversions and campaign optimisation, and other digital media buying activity through Facebook/Instagram, X (formally known as Twitter), YouTube, DV360, Google ads, Microsoft ads, TikTok, LinkedIn etc identifying trends and insights to achieve maximum ROI in paid marketing campaigns in defined markets and countries.
• Troubleshoot performance issues and work with internal teams to find solutions.
• Do extensive testing to define best practices and optimize towards best performing creatives, placements, audiences, and landing pages.
• Analyze campaign performance data via Google marketing tools and internal platforms to ensure timely and efficient optimization and be able to present the results to stakeholders.
• Support team members in doing quarterly, monthly, and yearly forecasting.
• Generate innovative ideas and iterate on them to improve campaigns’ efficiency.
• Act as main point of contact within the Americas team for all enquiries and support on digital marketing. Work with internal teams at HQ, Americas markets, and global offices to offer advice and ensure digital and paid medica best practices and techniques are properly implemented.
• Train and advise internal teams on paid media activity in social media platforms specifically Facebook advertising platform, Instagram, LinkedIn, sponsored YouTube, TikTok), and X (Twitter) plus paid search and Display (DV360) and any other platforms.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
• Weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports on paid media performance on country/ platform levels
• Regular calls, and meetings with stakeholders to discuss media buying, strategies, optimizations, budget planning, and testing strategies.
• Ensure all UNHCR approved Emergency appeals (paid digital) are launched to agreed timings and protocols.
• Completion of the tasks and assignments detailed in the pre-agreed work plan to a suitably high standard.
• Weekly/monthly one-to-one meetings with the supervising officer and markets.
• Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and new technologies.
4. Qualifications and Experience
(List the required education, work experience, expertise and competencies of the individual contractor. The listed education and experience should correspond with the level at which the contract is offered.)
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
• A degree in marketing, e-commerce, business administration, computer science, communications, or related field.
b. Work Experience
(List number of years and area of required work experience. Clearly distinguish between required experience and experience which could be an asset.)
• Minimum of six years’ (or five years for master’s degrees holders) of relevant experience in performance marketing campaign execution: agency and Americas related experience preferred.
• Ability to demonstrate practical experience in building up and growing digital fundraising programs.
• In-depth experience with paid digital media channels including programmatic, search, social.
• Experience with managing digital channels for the purposes of supporter engagement, communications, and donor acquisition.
• Strong knowledge of all key digital channels and their roles in supporter engagement, donor conversion and development.
• Hands-on, demonstratable experience in managing paid media campaigns across main digital channels: Google Ads platform, Microsoft Ads, Facebook, TikTok, X (formally known as Twitter), LinkedIn, GDN, DV360 etc.
• Experience in managing programmatic display campaigns.
• Experience within advertising operations with working knowledge of tag creation and trafficking
• Experience running experiments (A/B creative tests, conversion lift tests, etc.) and analyzing data.
• Working knowledge of web analytics tools, such as Google analytics, and experience in working with large data sets to develop effective marketing strategies.
• Experience of managing digital/creative agencies and channels.
c. Key Competencies
(Technical knowledge, skills, managerial competencies or other personal competencies relevant to the performance of the assignment. Clearly distinguish between required and desired competencies)
• Excellent verbal, fluency, and written skills in English and Spanish.
• Strong copywriting skills including the ability to interpret and re-write information for digital storytelling and fundraising purposes.
• Ability to analyze figures and make decisions based on data and analysis.
• Mature and organized with attention to detail.
• Ability to multitask projects and meet deadlines consistently.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Effective organizational and co-ordination abilities
• Excellent numerical and data management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Technological awareness
• Portuguese language skills
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
PS-Ad serving tools, PS-Advertising network (Ad networks), PS-Advertising technology (Ad tech), PS-Content Marketing, PS-Digital marketing, PS-Google Marketing Platform, PS-Multichannel campaign management, PS-Native advertising, PS-Search engine marketing (SEM), PS-Search Engine Optimization (SEO), PS-Social Media Optimisation and Marketing (SMO)
Bachelor of Arts (BA): Digital Communications and Media/Multimedia
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing performance, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
How to apply
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit https://bit.ly/3w9llzC
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Closing date of receipt of applications: 15 February 2024 (midnight Geneva time)
Deadline: 15 Feb 2024