MiracleFeet is a global nonprofit working to eliminate a leading cause of physical disability worldwide. Over two million children live with the severe consequences of a treatable birth defect known as clubfoot, and at least 175,000 more babies are born with it every year. Thanks to a non-surgical solution called the Ponseti method, 95 percent of cases can be fully treated for less than $500. Since 2010, MiracleFeet has scaled this proven, low-cost treatment to 30 countries where children previously had limited or no access to care. Still, today fewer than one in five children has access to treatment. Globally, our program focus regions include: West/Central Africa, East Africa, Asia, Latin America, & the Middle East and North Africa.
MiracleFeet seeks a Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) to play a key role in the strategic growth of clubfoot programs and program operations. We are seeking a transformative leader and seasoned manager with significant experience working with international partner organizations and who flourishes in a fast-paced environment, enjoys mentoring staff, and can effectively manage change in addition to multiple initiatives simultaneously. We are looking for someone multi-lingual with proven experience implementing development programs (ideally in global health) in different cultural settings and contexts. The DPP will report directly to the Director of Programs, operate as second in command of the programs team, and fill in as Interim Director when needed.
The DPP will manage many programmatic initiatives, including leading MiracleFeet’s new country expansion initiatives, advancing MiracleFeet’s broad clubfoot treatment agenda, and serving as the programmatic contact responsible for providing organizational support in the design and the implementation of the Technical Team’s efforts in enhancing treatment quality. The DPP will oversee the implementation of the programmatic annual operating plan, supervise several members of the programs team, focus on operational improvements within the programs team, and oversee resource management for programs.
This is a full-time, remote position. The post-holder will need to hold regular standing meetings with team members across Asia, Africa and Latin America, as well as travel regularly to these regions. Thus, candidates’ time zones and location (i.e.: near a convenient airport hub and in a partner country) will be taken into account, with a very strong preference given to candidates based in one of our partner countries.
Program Management & Implementation
- Develop and execute strategies to meet ongoing annual operating plans, and assist with developing Program Teams goals, objectives, and strategy.
- Disseminate, implement, and enforce organizational program standards, policies, and procedures, including providing guidance to regional program staff in strengthening relationships with partners.
- Coordinate with department leads (Communications/Marketing, Technical and Administration/Finance) to ensure work is supported appropriately by assigned teams, and workplans/timelines are aligned with identified outcomes and measurements.
· Works with regional teams to establish organizational goals and track performance in support of goals.
· Ensure programmatic goals are achieved through follow-up, coordination, and troubleshooting as needed with regional teams.
· Manage and track Programs’ 5-year organizational budget with the Director of Programs
· Assist with management of any regional portfolio in absence of the Program Manager as needed and/or assigned by the Director.
Program Development & Strategic Planning
· Contribute to short and long-term strategic planning and the identification of potential new opportunities for growth.
· Support the Director of Programs in providing strategic direction on priority programs and initiatives.
· Plan and provide guidance for major program/project activities that require cross-department collaboration, recommend initiatives in response to clubfoot situations, and ensure projects and activities are aligned with GCI’s RunFree 2030 strategy and policy agenda.
· Help in promoting and operationalizing MiracleFeet’s values including equity, diversity, belongingness, and inclusion among programs team.
· Foster inclusive planning processes and facilitate effective teamwork across the Programs Team.
· Lead MiracleFeet’s new country expansions initiatives by providing strategic direction, to explore new prospective countries and increase coverage in line with MiracleFeet’s long-term strategic plan.
· Coordinate efforts in advancing MiracleFeet’s mission in creative ways to help provide quality clubfoot treatment while scanning the horizon for new opportunities in countries where MiracleFeet is not formally present.
· Perform budget holder responsibilities in collaboration with the Technical team for all training program proposed and prepared by Program Managers (PMs).
· Assist with HR issues resolution as needed and participate in Programs hiring processes—job description design, application reviews, interviews, selection, and/or onboarding depending on the position to fill.
· Assume responsibilities in the absence of the Director of Programs and support the Director of Programs with other leadership and management duties.
Knowledge Management & Thought Leadership
· Collaborate with other members of Programs Team to develop and implement best practices in public health and clubfoot management, including parent education, outreach, and advocacy.
· Under the guidance of the Director of Programs and in collaboration with the Programs Team, develop, refine, and implement MiracleFeet’s organizational priorities and strategic approaches.
· Stay current on trends and issues (in global health, international development) that impact our work; identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities in alignment with MiracleFeet’s Operating Plan.
· Collaborate with colleagues and external parties to facilitate regional and thematic knowledge-exchange convenings to promote learning among partners and clubfoot champions globally.
· Work collaboratively with other MiracleFeet team members and partners on cross-program projects, such as development of conference presentations, fundraising, and support for general program initiatives.
· Coordinate with Programs team to prepare regular program updates for Board meetings, staff meetings, annual reports, website updates and other forms of MiracleFeet communication.
· Participate in the advancement of organization-wide initiatives, including working groups or task forces.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
· Graduate degree in public health, social development, international development, child development, or other related field.
· A minimum of ten years’ experience in program management required, ideally in public health, child protection, or child-oriented development across different continents.
· Demonstrated experience in partner capacity strengthening and mentoring.
· Demonstrated passion for the mission of the organization, a strong dedication to partners and stakeholders, and an ability to maintain excellent partner relations.
· Demonstrated commitment to advancing racial equity; respectful of differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances.
· Substantial supervisory experience; thoughtful leader who values and actively works to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for everyone in their work.
· Professional proficiency in English is required, and French or Spanish proficiency is preferred.
· Ability to travel (up to 30% of the time).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Strong global network (in global health, human rights, child protection, or similar), as well as the gravitas and skills to engage key high-level stakeholders.
· Clear alignment with MiracleFeet’s approach and organizational values, including a deep capacity to work with and for regional initiatives to facilitate the sustainable treatment of clubfoot globally.
· Commitment to realizing the incredible potential of clubfoot national programs and effective national leadership as pathways to long-term mechanisms in ending clubfoot disability globally.
· Demonstrated expertise in working with public health systems, and communities globally using participatory approaches.
· Demonstrated experience managing diverse teams remotely, across time zones and countries
· Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; ample proven experience preparing reports, concept notes and other documentation; detailed-oriented; superior organization skills
· Ability to analyze and interpret program data; ability to use data to drive decision-making and share that information to multiple audiences
· Ability to understand and manage the power differential in the funder-partner relationship as well as the ability to handle all relationships with humility and respect.
· Strong background with/in public health program implementation or advocacy initiatives.
· An open, analytical, critical thinking mindset as well as a keen interest in learning.
· Please note that this is a remote position with a very strong preference for candidates based in one of our partner countries. The post-holder will need to hold regular standing meetings with team members across Asia, Africa and Latin America, as well as travel regularly to these regions. Thus, candidates’ time zones and location (i.e.: near a convenient airport hub) will be taken into account.
· Applicants must already reside and have appropriate work permit in the country they will be located. Please note that MiracleFeet is unable to sponsor employment visas.
· Salary commensurate with experience and country compensation levels.
· Position is on a contract basis. MiracleFeet will not be offering a US-based employment contract if the candidate is located outside the US.
How to apply
*Please submit your detailed cover letter and resume (in English) here: https://miraclefeet.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=46*
Once you submit your application, you should receive a notification confirming your materials were received. If you do not receive this automatic message, please contact [email protected] We also recommend you add [email protected] to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us. Please no phone calls.
Applications will be accepted until July 6th, 2022 or until the position is filled. MiracleFeet is committed to creating a diverse environment and actively encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply. MiracleFeet is committed to a high standard of safety for all staff, especially during travel. As an added protection against COVID-19 we require full vaccination approved by CDC and WHO. We do respect and will consider religious or disability accommodation requests that may hinder the vaccination requirement.
MiracleFeet is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
MiracleFeet is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all employees to share this commitment.
MiracleFeet is committed to our organizational values Collaboration, Ambition, Integrity, and Justice. We demonstrate collective behaviors that make us unique.
Please visit our website to learn more about us https://www.miraclefeet.org/