International Development Law Organization
Overview & Responsibilities
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments, empowers people, and strengthens institutions to realize justice and promote peace and sustainable development. IDLO is the only global intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law and access to justice.
With its Headquarters in Rome, Italy, a Branch Office in The Hague, and Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations in New York and Geneva, IDLO carries out policy advocacy, research and learning, as well as rule of law and justice programmes in countries through some 17 Country Offices operating in every region of the world.
The Strategic Plan 2021-2024 highlights IDLO’s commitment to collect and analyze data to develop an evidence base to inform policymaking and advocacy, improve program interventions and contribute to more informed decision-making. It also seeks to better manage and share knowledge across the organization to ensure better use of IDLO’s accumulated research and experience.
The position will be based in the Strategy and Policy Planning Unit (DGO-SP) of the Office of the Director-General and contribute to these objectives. The DGO-SP supports the Director-General in strengthening strategic and policy coherence, improving knowledge management, and coordinating institutional monitoring and reporting.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Strategy and Policy Planning Unit, the Data and Knowledge Management Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Coordinate the development of an appropriate data strategy for IDLO, which supports the organization in the implementation of its mandate and Strategic Plan 2021-2024, and identifies and articulates its practical applications for IDLO and its stakeholders
- Consult with relevant staff and management across IDLO operations to define data use cases and recommend metrics for evidence-based decision making.
- Identify and recommend technology, infrastructure, tools and resource/staffing requirements needed strategy and roadmap, including the use of emergent technologies (AI/machine learning etc.).
- Develop and implement governance mechanisms and contribute to policies (including data privacy and security) that allow IDLO to manage data as a strategic asset.
- In cooperation with IDLO’s ICT team, ensure that IDLO’s data platforms are aligned with the data strategy and ensure inter-operability of platforms, processes and data sets for internal and external data exchange.
- Ensure that IDLO’s data approach is clearly linked to supporting the organization contribution to the Decade of Action.
- Contribute to IDLO’s policy and advocacy efforts by supporting the development of methodologies and processes for collecting data on SDG 16 and enabling countries to collect and globally report on the data, promoting data innovations and partnerships on governance statistics.
- Support the development of IDLO’s intranet as an effective knowledge management and collaboration platform;
- Enhance institutional knowledge management and optimize learning by continually improving processes and introducing new tools and techniques based on experience;
- Operationalize and continuously improve processes and guidelines for intranet content management, for all the content lifecycle stages – create, publish, maintain and archive;
- Manage the taxonomy framework of IDLO’s intranet;
- Work with intranet end-users to understand their needs and gather feedback on improvement ideas, problems faced and usability;
- Train content managers and end-users on effective use of IDLO’s intranet;
- Respond to end-user queries on where to find the right content;
- Promote awareness and help increase adoption of IDLO’s learning and knowledge management repositories and tools; and
- Monitor intranet site usage and content metrics.
Education and Professional Experience
- Advanced degree in Knowledge Management, Computer Science, Information Technology, Development Communication, or related field is required;
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience and demonstrated technical competence in data and knowledge management, ideally at an international public service organization and /or international non-governmental organization;
- Experience in using process excellence tools and methodologies;
- Proven experience in developing and implementing organizational data strategies
- Experience in developing and/or leading a knowledge management program across geographies, including content management strategies and taxonomy frameworks.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English.
- Knowledge of Spanish, French, Arabic, or Russian will be an asset.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills;
- Proven capacity for analyzing and synthesizing comprehensive information and technical data;
- Experience in data capture and analysis, in evaluating and assessing organizational impact and in using learning and evidence from data to improve organizational capacity and practice, to inform programming, business planning and future developments.
- Strong understanding of data and analytics for featuring relevant information for external audiences;
- Ability to develop knowledge management systems and in building organizational learning;
- Expertise in deriving insight and using knowledge from data collected and analyzed in decision making, planning, across organizational and external activities
- Strong oral presentation, communication and networking ability, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work across the organization, departments and field offices;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use computer and Microsoft office programs and other electronic sources in research activities.
- Keeps abreast of all institutional developments to prepare appropriate reports, background notes, and other documentation as required.
- Good team player, keen to learn, positive attitude, flexible mind, comfortable working in multi-cultural settings;
- An ability to work on multiple different projects at once while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail;
- Organization skills, excellent time management, and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
Terms & Conditions
This is a re-advertisement, candidate who applied earlier this year need not apply again.
For this internationally recruited position, IDLO will offer the selected candidate a Professional Fixed-Term Contract of 24 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall offer a yearly basic salary of EUR € 72,000.- and benefits including provident fund contribution (14%), medical insurance and leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation, installation, expatriate, and educational allowances are also available for internationally recruited employees in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
Salaries and benefits paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy. IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or of any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates. IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee/consultant/intern assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the consultancy opportunity to meet business and organizational needs as necessary. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
How to apply
Please make sure your application is completed online on the following link to be considered for the role:
Data and Knowledge Management Specialist (Internationally Recruited) in | Careers at HQ- Rome (icims.com)