Assessment Capacities Project
ACAPS, a project hosted by the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), is looking for a dynamic Data Analyst to join its Afghanistan Analysis Hub as soon as possible.
The project runs from 13.06.2022 until 31.03.2023 with possible extension.
Afghanistan Analysis Hub
ACAPS is establishing an Afghanistan Analysis Hub to provide impartial, independent, timely, and high-quality analytical products, which strengthen the evidence base for decision making and response programming among humanitarian stakeholders related to the crisis in Afghanistan and how it affects communities both within Afghanistan and in neighbouring countries. To achieve this, ACAPS will put together a team of one Project Lead, two Senior Analysts, one Data Analyst, and five Information Analysts, with support from Expert Analysis Advisors and others within the organisation.
The Afghanistan Analysis Hub will:
- Use available data to reach deeper levels of analysis to understand cross sector linkages and trends and to anticipate and understand future risks.
- Support sectors and organisations in using existing data to identify information gaps and design quantitative and qualitative research assessments.
- Design and share analysis, creating an evidence base on which a shared overview of the crisis can be established, and inter-sector coordination strengthened.
- Facilitate joint analysis processes.
ACAPS is looking for a data analyst to adapt existing ACAPS approaches to integrating quantitative data into our analysis of humanitarian needs, risks and trends to Afghanistan and to develop new approaches where relevant or necessary. The Data Analyst will develop and manage data platforms, deliver data analysis products and provide training and technical guidance to colleagues in the ACAPS Afghanistan Analysis Hub, operational partners and the broader Afghanistan humanitarian response. The Data Analyst will also stay on top of developments in data analysis and propose and develop innovative approaches to collecting and interpreting data in conflict affected and hard-to-reach contexts.
The Data Analyst will work closely with ACAPS data team, analysts, and technical experts (roster or consultants). The role will also include collaboration with staff based in Geneva. Additionally, the Data Analyst will work closely with analysis and IM external colleagues, cluster leads in Afghanistan, and operational actors (INGOs, UN agencies and Afghan NGOs).
Qualifications and experience
- Post-graduate qualification in Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics. Other degrees with relevant experience may be considered.
- At least 5 years of proven working experience as a data analyst or similar role.
- Expertise on database design development, data mining, data visualisation.
- Sound knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analysing data (Excel, SPSS, STATA, and SAS etc). Knowledge of R or Python are preferred.
- Sound knowledge and experience on database management and data visualisation software such as SQL, My SQL, Power BI, etc.
- Sound knowledge and experience on developing composite indicators and data modelling.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Understanding of the humanitarian sector and emergency response context.
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English. Working knowledge of Pashto or Dari desired.
- Proposes innovative ideas and new solutions to challenges.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and results oriented approach. Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Proven ability to work strategically to set goals and flexibility and creativity in realising them.
- Outstanding coordination, communication, and inter-personal skills, including capacity to persuade and influence others, convey information effectively, as well as adjust actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and written clarity, including ability to understand complex concepts and problems and synthetize information.
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Working with people
- Social Perceptiveness
- Active Listening
- Planning and delivering results
- Adapting and Responding to Change
- Ability to work under pressure and function professionally and ethically in remote settings with limited supervision
- Adhering to Principles and Values
Operate in line with the ACAPS values
ACAPS is a dynamic and independent organisation. Our culture is enshrined in the ACAPS values (here). The post holder is expected to develop the position in line with these values. The ACAPS values live in the way we manage our teams, create our content and engage with stakeholders.
How to apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter in your application throught the NRC platform here.
You can find the full job description here.
Priority will be given to applicants from Afghanistan or the Afghan diaspora with the right to live and work in the UK or any country with an NRC office.