Danish Red Cross
Experienced Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Advisor with knowledge in the areas of migration and displacement and Caring for Staff and Volunteers
Danish Red Cross (DRC) is looking for an experienced Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) professional to join our global team of MHPSS delegates and work to ensure that people have capacities to promote, achieve and sustain mental health and psychosocial well-being.
As MHPSS Advisor you will be using your skills and experience to ensure quality of and further development of DRC’s approach to “MHPSS in migration” and “Caring for Staff and Volunteers”. You will play a leading role in the development and dissemination of guidelines, policies and strategies needed to ensure quality on these matters. You will be responsible for supporting capacity development incl. development and facilitation of relevant trainings in these areas. Furthermore, you are to provide strategic guidance within your areas of responsibility in compliance with international standards and ensure that DRC is represented in relevant networks and international fora.
You will become a core member of the DRC global MHPSS matrix team in the newly established Technical Quality and Impact Unit. The position is based at the DRC regional office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and frequent travel within and outside the region is expected.
As a core member of the global MHPSS matrix team you will have a technical management line to the MHPSS Lead and a reporting line to the Head of the Technical Quality and Impact unit. You will work closely with other MHPSS matrix team members, as well as with the migration matrix team. Additionally, you are to coordinate and work with relevant colleagues in the International Department at HQ, in the African Region and beyond as needed.
- Ensure a harmonised and uniformed DRC approach to MHPSS within migration and displacement.
- Develop and draft DRC strategy, guidelines, and policy papers for MHPSS in migration and displacement.
- Develop and ensure quality of training packages for MHPSS in migration and displacement.
- Contribute to the development and roll out of Psychological First Aid and Caring for Staff and Volunteers (particularly in migration and displacement programmes).
- Support capacity development of national partners particularly related to MHPSS in migration and displacement, Caring for Staff and Volunteers and country portfolios in the Africa region without dedicated DRC PS delegates (e.g. South Sudan, Somalia and Kenya).
- Contribute to advocacy and fundraising on MHPSS related to migration and displacement programmes.
- Document and share best practices/learning on MHPSS in migration and displacement to support global DRC institutional learning (incl. adaptation of M&E tools relevant to MHPSS in migration).
- Ensure coordination with relevant DRC offices and technical advisors (incl. migration matrix team).
- Coordination/liaison with IFRC and ICRC at regional level.
- Represent DRC in relevant external network/fora.
- Contribute to the DRC MHPSS Matrix team as a core team member by providing quality assurance, undertaking technical missions and surge mission (ability to deploy as part of first rotation).
- Contribute to the Migration Matrix team expanded group experience sharing
Experience and skills
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience in MHPSS after qualifying.
- Field experience in migration and/or displacement contexts
- Field experience in a conflict or natural disaster-generated emergency context.
- Knowledge of international legal and protection frameworks around migration and/or displacement
- Demonstrated skills in development of MHPSS tools/material and facilitation of trainings.
- Experience and skills in organizational capacity development incl. mentoring and building skills in staff and volunteers on MHPSS, PGI, health and child protection
- Experience in one or more of the following: working in MHPSS services, working for or volunteering with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
- Experience with programme development and related fundraising vis à vis donors.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office package
- Ability to travel frequently within the Africa region and beyond for periods of 1-4 weeks up to 50 % of time.
- Advanced written and spoken English is required; knowledge of French and Danish is a strong advantage.
- A structured, independent, and proactive approach to tasks.
- Strong team-player skills and ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication, coordination, negotiation, networking, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Confidence in situations of stress, and able to handle a heavy but varied workload for a long period.
- Understanding that process and ownership are key to achieving results in culturally and politically sensitive environments.
- Prepared to contribute to a positive working environment
Your future workplace The Danish Red Cross is part of the world’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. Along with the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC), the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), and 192 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the Danish Red Cross is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The Danish Red Cross is a member and volunteer-based organization with 202 local branches in Denmark and more than 30,000 volunteers, and with international projects in Africa, Asia, and the MENA region.
DRC works both with long-term activities and short-term response particularly within health, disaster preparedness and response, and displacement and migration.
DRC encourages people from all backgrounds to apply.
We offer The position is located at DRC Regional office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and is a full-time position of 40 working hours per week with frequent travel to be expected (50% of the time). The position is 24 months with possibility for extension given funding availability. You will refer to the Head of Technical Quality and Impact in Copenhagen.
Salary and employment conditions will comply with Danish Red Cross’s collective bargain agreement with HK and AC and will be between DKK 41.300 – 47.600 per month incl. pension, and according to qualifications and experience.
How to apply
For further information about the position please write to MHPSS Lead, Louise Kryger ([email protected]).
You can apply trough this link: Røde Kors – Danish Red Cross Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Advisor (easycruit.com)
Application deadline is 26 June. Interviews will take place in late June and early July. Expected start date is 1 September 2022.