Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust
Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust (MESPT) was established in 2002 by the Government of Kenya and the European Union. EU later relinquished their position to the Royal Danish Embassy in Kenya, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (DANIDA) through a Trust Deed of 2013.
The Trust is a development organization with a purpose to grow smallholder farmers and Agri SMEs to increase productivity and incomes and enhance competitiveness for job creation, especially for youth and women. This is achieved through capacity building which includes skills development, technical support, business advisory, financial and market linkages.
Our focus is to facilitate support and provision of integrated financial and business development services for small holder farmers and Agri SMEs in Kenya. This is aimed at enabling beneficiaries to access finance, increase agricultural productivity, agro-processing, and access markets/ trade opportunities. For over a decade, MESPT has partnered with development agencies, donors, and investors to build the capacity of the business services sector and the agricultural sector in Kenya through a unique tripartite business model that links Farmers, Agri- SMEs, and Financial Institutions – creating linkages along value chains.
We pride ourselves for successfully implementing 12 agriculture-based Programmes that have seen us facilitate creation of 70,000 decent jobs at various levels of the agriculture market systems. We have also cumulatively disbursed KES 6.4 billion to financial institutions and over 250,000 end users have accessed finance.
For further information kindly visit our website www.mespt.org
As part of its development programme, MESPT is seeking to engage a highly committed, results-oriented, self-driven professional with excellent risk management, analytical and financial skills to ensure the successful realization of credit and development objectives and strategies.
Job Title: Credit & Business Development Officer
Company: Micro Enterprise Support Programme Trust (MESPT)
Department: Credit and Business Development
Position Reports to: Credit and Business Development Manager
Duty Station: Nairobi
Salary: Grade 4
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, Medical Insurance, 20% Gratuity and 7.5% leave allowance
Restrictions: 3-Month probation period, 3-year contract and 1-month notice period
Expected Travel: Minimal
To effectively manage the process of client identification and acquisition, Credit assessment, risk identification-mitigation and reporting, Developing appropriate credit facilities and monitoring portfolio performance for Mico-Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Agricultural sector and Renewable Energy sub-sector.
- Build MESPT Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) loan portfolio on all products through attracting and recruiting new clients.
- Maintain accurate data on all applications submitted to MESPT.
- Provide timely feedback to all credit applicants as per the policy guidelines.
- Undertake credit assessment and prepare appraisal reports as per prescribed guidelines for credit facilitation and make necessary recommendation to Credit & Business Development Manager. This includes desk reviews and onsite due diligence.
- Ensure and maintain adequate documentation of all credit cases progressed for approval.
- Capture Know Your Customer data and financial information into the institutional Credit management system.
- Prepare credit facility offer letters spelling out terms, conditions, and covenants for review by line Manager.
- Engage and coordinate with service providers such as lawyers and valuers to facilitate security perfection.
- Initiate loan disbursement process as per credit policy.
- Maintain both soft and hardcopy credit files for all successful and unsuccessful cases.
- Maintain accurate security details in security register in both hard and soft copies for signoff by the line manager.
- Undertake portfolio management to identify default triggers per case, assessment of loan penalties, actioning on measures to mitigate deterioration of portfolio at risk, initiating collection mechanism per policy including business recovery mechanisms.
- Prepare client monitoring schedule for approval by the line manager.
- Undertake monthly desk monitoring and bi-annual site visits, providing monitoring reports.
- Adhere to provisions of data protection Act and internal mechanism of data management and protection.
- Identify and document capacity gaps in enterprises and develop practical recommendations to address the identified gaps.
- Develop a mechanism for credit facilitation to informal groups and individual micro clients with clear risk mitigation models.
- Prepare quarterly departmental report in collaboration with other credit team members and share with line manager.
- Undertake and document bi-annual market scanning in the area of Agricultural Value Chain and Green financing and share with line Manager.
- Identify, document, and share with line manager possible innovative ways of improving business processes at Credit and Business Development Department.
- Identify and document key budget considerations and proposals to Credit Manager to facilitate annual budget planning.
- Develop papers on lessons learnt and case studies.
- Collaborate with teams from other departments.
Any other duties assigned by the line manager.
- Programme Managers
- Programme Officers
- Procurement Officer
- Finance Team
- Communication Officer
- Administration Officer
- HR Officer
- Partner organizations,
- MSMEs in agricultural and Renewable Energy Sectors
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- At least 5 years post-qualification experience in the financial sector with exposure in micro and small business financing in Agricultural sector, Renewable Energy and Micro groups.
- Good understanding of sustainable finance focusing on both social and climate adaptation and mitigation results among micro and small businesses.
- Good communication and presentation skills, with outstanding reporting skills.
- Sound financial and analytical skills
- Good negotiation, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Sound understanding of the current and emerging trends in the sustainable financing.
- Sound Knowledge of financing models and instruments available for sustainable finance.
- Good data analysis skills
- Good report writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business related field, Economics, Agribusiness, Finance, Accounting or equivalent.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access,) and statistical related packages
- Ability to handle pressure and work with minimum supervision.
- A team player with the drive to improve performance.
- Results Orientation towards own and team’s role in line with organizational priorities, decisive, passion and drive for high quality work
- Working with others, in a team environment, receiving and providing feedback, contributing to the team’s success, and managing conflicts if it occurs
- Self-Management, by demonstrating Integrity and credibility, leading by example, committed, knowledgeable and confident on the job functions and superior communication skills.
- Creativity: develops and encourages new and innovative solutions, willing to take risks.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, external partners, and stakeholders.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and MESPT reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply
Qualified and interested applicants should send their application letters indicating their current/last remuneration, detailed CV with email address, daytime telephone contacts, names, and email contacts of 3 professional referees, 2 must have supervised you at some point, with one being your most recent supervisor (combined in one PDF document) to [email protected] quoting Job Reference and Job Title in the subject line “Credit and Business Development Officer-HR/02/2024”.
Hard copy applications will not be considered. All applications for this position should only be sent to [email protected]
The applicant must legally be eligible to live and work full time in Kenya.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Deadline for applications 23rd February 2024 at 5.00 pm EAT.
MESPT is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and committed to
Gender Equity and Diversity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.