The International Development Law Organisation (IDLO) enables governments, empowers people, and strengthens institutions to realize justice and promote peace and sustainable development. IDLO is the only global intergovernmental organisation exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law and access to justice.
With its Headquarters in Rome, Italy, a Branch Office in The Hague, and Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations in New York and Geneva, IDLO carries out policy advocacy, research and learning, as well as rule of law and justice programmes in countries through some 17 Country Offices operating in every region of the world.
IDLO IN MYANMAR
IDLO has been working in Myanmar since 2013 to support = justice providers, , civil society and communities to strengthen the rule of law and access to justice, enhance gender equality and promote peace and development in line with SDG 16.
The Country Manager reports to the Regional Program Manager Asia, working in close coordination with the Director of Programmes on strategic and representational issues.
The Country Manager establishes the basis for IDLO’s presence at the country level through identification of opportunities, securing of program resources, developing compelling programs and providing consistently high-quality execution which distinguishes the organisation. The Country Manager assumes overall responsibility and accountability for, and coordination of, the programmatic, operational and representational activities of IDLO in country. The Country Manager has delegated financial authority, approval authority for the delivery of projects and services, authority to act as external representative on IDLO’s behalf, as well as management and internal controls responsibilities.
The Country Manager will be responsible for.
1. Representing IDLO before senior government officials, the donor and international community and other external and internal stakeholders as appropriate:
- Representing IDLO in internal and external meetings ensuring that programmatic achievements are shared with national and international stakeholders;
- Coordinating program and organisational activities with the host-country and other stakeholders and donors;
2. Responsible for the overall management of the program portfolio, ensuring effective, efficient, results-based and timely delivery of activities and results:
- Overseeing the implementation of the Country Office work plan, analyze and anticipate delays and challenges, proposing adjustments as required;
- Overseeing the local financial management of the program portfolio, review financial reporting and budget forecasts;
- Advancing program implementation through discussions and correspondence with technical, substantive, and project personnel, ensuring HQ support, including undertaking field visits and analysis of periodic program progress reports;
- Providing technical support and supervision to ensure compliance with IDLO’s quality standards throughout the implementation;
- Supervising the preparation of timely donor narrative reports in cooperation with IDLO Headquarters;
3. Leading the development of a country strategy, in line with IDLO’s global programmatic priorities:
- In coordination with the Regional Programmme Manager, lead the development of a country strategy, sharing accountability with the Regional Programme Manager for key performance indicators, ensuring that these are aligned to the strategic priorities of the organisation;
4. Lead programmme development:
- Identify new programme opportunities and develop team capacity to deliver and promote programme development;
- Liaise with external stakeholders and donors to maintain or enhance existing relationships to the benefit of the Organisation and actively advance new donor and stakeholder partnerships at the country level;
- Oversee the design of implementation plans within designated areas by means of standardized program cycle management tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, monitoring reports, and others;
5. Responsible for the day to day management of IDLO Country Office:
- Effectively lead the team by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support team with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting;
- Overseeing the monitoring of contracts, responsible for providing recommendations on extensions/promotions/terminations and other amendments to contracts;
- Monitoring the programme implementation environment, including security, political, development and personnel issues that may affect implementation of IDLO’s programmatic portfolio;
- In coordination with IDLO HQ, record issues and risks and guide necessary responses of the programme to changes in the political and security situation.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent in international development, international relations, law, public administration, public policy or other relevant social sciences;
- A minimum of 10 years’ relevant professional experience in an international governmental or non-governmental organisation, designing and implementing complex programmes;
- Proven experience in a managerial and supervisory capacity of human and financial resources and a track record in programme management and programme administration;
- Experience in managing rule of law projects is an advantage; and
- Work experience in Asia is an advantage.
- Full professional competence of written and verbal communication skills in English is essential.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Familiarity with standard programme and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation approaches and tools;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of any other ICT software and internet software;
- Solid interpersonal skills; works effectively across and within IDLO organisational boundaries;
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
- The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Self-motivated and ability to use initiative to assist the organisation to achieve its objectives;
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country, if necessary; and
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this professional internationally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract for 12 months, with the possibility of extension, depending on satisfactory performance and continued funding availability.
IDLO shall offer an annual basic salary of USD $ 94,800.- and a benefits package including provident fund contribution (14%), medical and mission insurance, leave entitlements and other applicable benefits in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates. IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
This position is based in IDLO Country Office in Yangon, Myanmar. Yangon is currently a non-family duty station.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organisational needs as necessary.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
How to apply
Application deadline: 08 April 2022
To be considered for this position, please make sure you complete your application on the following link: Country Manager, Myanmar (internationally recruited) | IDLO – International Development Law Organization (impactpool.org)
Subscribe to get the latest vacancies