The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments, empowers people, and strengthens institutions to realise justice and promote peace and sustainable development. IDLO is the only global intergovernmental organisation exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law and access to justice.
With its headquarters in Rome, Italy, a Branch Office in The Hague, Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations in New York and Geneva, and 18 Country Offices across the globe, IDLO carries out policy advocacy, research and the rule of law and justice programmes, operating in every region of the world.
The Country Manager reports to the Regional Program Manager working in close coordination with the Director of Programs on strategic/representational issues.
The Country Manager establishes the basis for IDLO’s presence at the country level through identification of opportunities, securing of program resources, developing compelling programs and providing consistently high-quality execution which distinguishes the organization. The Country Manager assumes overall responsibility and accountability for, and coordination of, the operational and programmatic activities of IDLO in the country. The Country Manager has delegated financial authority, approval authority for the delivery of projects and services, authority to act as an external representative on IDLO’s behalf and management and internal controls responsibilities.
The Country Manager will be responsible for:
- Representing IDLO before senior government officials, the donor and international community and other external and internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- Representing IDLO in internal and external meetings ensuring that programmatic achievements are shared with national and international stakeholders.
- Coordinating program and organizational activities with the Mongolian Government and other stakeholders and donors.
- Responsible for the overall management of the program portfolio, ensuring effective, efficient, results-based, and timely delivery of activities and results.
- Overseeing the implementation of the Programs’ work plan, analysing and anticipating delays and challenges, proposing adjustments as required.
- Overseeing the local financial management of the program portfolio, reviewing financial reporting and budget forecasts;
- Advancing program implementation through discussions and correspondence with technical, substantive, and project personnel, ensuring HQ support, including undertaking field visits and analysis of periodic program progress reports.
- Providing technical support and supervision to ensure compliance with IDLO’s quality standards throughout the implementation.
- Supervising the preparation of timely donor narrative reports in consultation with the team at IDLO Headquarters.
- Leading the development of the Country Strategy, in line with IDLO’s global programmatic priorities;
- In coordination with the Regional Program Manager, lead the development of country strategies, sharing accountability with the RPM for key performance indicators ensuring that these are aligned to the strategic priorities of the organisation.
- Lead Program Development
- Identify new program opportunities and develop team capacity to deliver and promote program development.
- Liaise with external stakeholders and donors to maintain or enhance existing relationships to the benefit of the Organization, as well as to actively participate in advancing new donor and stakeholder partnerships.
- Oversee the design of implementation plans within the designated areas by means of standardized program cycle management tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, monitoring reports, and others.
- Responsible for the management of the IDLO Country Office.
- Effectively lead the team by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support the team with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting.
- Overseeing the monitoring of contracts, responsible for providing recommendations on extensions/promotions/terminations and other amendments to contracts;
- Monitoring the Program implementation environment, including security, political, development and personnel issues that may affect the implementation of IDLO’s programmatic portfolio.
- In coordination with IDLO HQ, record issues and risks and guide necessary responses of the Program to changes in the political and security situation.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent in international development, law, public administration, business administration, public policy, or other relevant social sciences.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience in an international governmental or non-governmental organization, designing and implementing complex programs.
- Proven experience in a managerial and supervisory capacity of human and financial resources and a track record in program management and program administration.
- Full professional competence in written and verbal communication skills in English and French is essential.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of any other ICT software and internet software.
- Solid interpersonal skills; works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Self-motivated and able to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country, if necessary.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate. Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally professional recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of $94,800 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical and mission insurance, and leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 12 May 2022 (23:59hrs Rome Time).