International Rescue Committee
Over the past 90 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster.
The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
IRC UK is part of the IRC global network, which has its global headquarters in New York. Our team in the UK works to raise profile, deliver policy and practice change, and increase funding to help restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Since 2021, IRC UK has also provided integration services directly to refugees in England, a programme that is rapidly growing.
In Europe, the IRC also has offices in Berlin, Bonn, Brussels, Geneva and Stockholm.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people affected by humanitarian crises to survive, recover and rebuild their lives. We deliver lasting impact by providing health care, helping children learn, and empowering individuals and communities to become self-reliant, always with a focus on the outstanding needs of women and girls. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, we now work in over 50 crisis-affected countries as well as communities throughout Europe and the Americas.
Marketing & Mobilization (M&M), a part of External Relations (ER), is a dynamic team, tasked with overseeing and implementing communications and marketing, building the IRC’s global profile and brand, growing private revenue from deeper donor engagement and partnerships, and influencing our target audiences. In alignment with our Strategy100 commitments, M&M has launched bold multi-year campaigns that raise funding, profile and influence and will improve our share of voice and resonance in key geographies and globally.
The Content and Creative team, a part of M&M, consists of award-winning creative specialists and idea partners, developing powerful communications and experiences to engage audiences and deliver on ER ambitions and objectives. Using creative mediums such as visual design, video, stunts, events, and storytelling, they tap into the expertise and talents of colleagues across the organization.
The Purpose of the Role
The Content Writer is an experienced and thoughtful writer and storyteller who cares deeply about humanitarian causes. This person is an integral part of the Creative & Content team and will develop and execute thought-provoking and compelling campaigns, events and digital and print products that showcase the IRC’s life-changing work and stories of our clients.
The Content Writer will be responsible for conceptualizing, writing and editing communications that help to raise brand awareness, fundraise and inspire people to engage with us and support the organization’s work. This person will also play a role in the development and writing of case studies highlighting the work of our staff and the experiences of our clients around the world.
CAMPAIGNS AND PRODUCTS
- ****Play a key role in developing the theme and messaging for global campaigns to be utilized by teams across External Relations, including the High Value, Mass Markets and Digital Engagement teams. Messaging includes pithy taglines, engaging topline and extended messaging and key information about our programs and stories of the people we serve.
- Write and edit print communications for teams across External Relations, including the High Value, Corporate Partnerships and Mass Market teams. Content can include products such as: reports, newsletters, brochures and advertisements.
- Write and edit digital communications to cultivate and activate our community and inspire audiences to donate. Content can include communications such as: video scripts, emails, ads and on-site elements for Rescue.org.
- · Develop content for internal teams to use in their print and digital products. This includes writing for case studies that share the stories of our clients and staff.
- Interview staff, donors, volunteers and clients, as needed, about the impact of the IRC and donor funds.
- Help to onboard consultants and freelancers and provide editorial support as needed to ensure communications are grammatically correct, aligned with our messaging and on-brand.
- Be an IRC brand ambassador, ensuring copy is on-brand, effective and highlights the dignity and resilience of refugees and displaced families.
- Take initiative in learning about, and staying up to date on, our programs and responses to crises around the world.
- Experience writing and editing for non-profit organizations or creative agencies.
- Experience writing taglines and campaign messaging.
- Experience writing print and digital communications that activate, inspire and compel people to make a donation.
- Some experience editing other writers.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Is an outstanding writer with a proven ability to write pithy and inspired campaign taglines and messaging that set our brand apart and activates our audiences.
- Understands and promotes ethical storytelling that is truthful, nuanced, educational, empowering and in the best interest of the families we serve around the world.
- Is an excellent editor and proofreader.
- Has the ability to translate programmatic language into strong and concise consumer-facing copy.
- Is deadline-drive and can write copy quickly.
- Has a genuine excitement for showcasing the stories of our clients and highlighting our humanitarian work.
- Loves collaboration and brainstorming and can work well with colleagues across the organization.
- Is passionate about our cause and seeks to help transform the lives of people affected by humanitarian crises.
How to apply
The application deadline for this role is 26th of February 2024.
Please apply via the link: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/49295?c=rescue
IRC UK strives to be an equal opportunities employer. IRC-UK is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all job applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
IRC UK welcomes applications from all candidates, including underrepresented groups and refugees who have the right to work in the UK.
IRC UK will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application and/or interview process, and for essential job functions if appointed to a role. Please contact us if you may need such adjustments.
If you have any questions or need assistance with the online recruitment process, please contact the IRC UK HR team at [email protected]
Deadline: 26 Feb 2024