ABOUT INTERNEWS AND SIGNPOST
Internews is an international non-profit organization whose mission is to ensure people have access to the news and information they need, the ability to connect and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews has played a pioneering role in the field of disaster, humanitarian and risk communications, working closely with community, information providers such as local media and community organizations to understand and support their role in the information ecosystem during crises. We strengthen two-way information mechanisms that allow communities to access life-saving information, share questions, concerns and priorities with responders and shape the programs designed to support them.
Signpost is an innovative digital initiative providing the humanitarian community with a platform to reach refugees, asylum seekers and crisis-affected communities around the world with accessible information. It began in 2015 in Greece and is a collaboration between the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and Mercy Corps (MC). It has since expanded to include instances in Jordan and El Salvador.
Each Signpost platform provides users context-specific, up-to-date information on vital needs such as legal rights, transportation, and medical services in multiple languages – empowering individuals to make informed decisions at the most critical moments.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is responding to the information needs of people impacted by the current war in Sudan. Our focus is ensuring people can access accurate, timely and contextual information to inform their decision making, access humanitarian services and to identify and respond to rumors and misinformation that may put communities at greater risk. Internews is partnering with the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) to create a digital platform which will allow communities to receive responsive answers to their questions and referrals to services to support them. This project will form part of the Signpost global network.
The Content Specialist leads the creation of accurate, relevant and engaging content that responds to community questions and concerns. This is a hands-on content creation role, perfect for a multidisciplinary candidate who is confident working in a range of formats (audio and image creation, animation etc.). The Content Specialist is responsible for creating and leading the implementation of a user-focused content and editorial strategy that is informed by protection principles and current digital content and social media best practice.
The successful Content Specialist will be extremely proactive, detail-oriented and organized. They are creative and excited to try different approaches to delivering lifesaving humanitarian information in a way that cuts through the noise of online information. They have an understanding of basic behavior change concepts and the skill to present complex information in an easy to understand format. They are diplomatic and able to work with a range of peers in an online working environment. They thrive in evolving and changing environments. They have an active presence across many social media platforms (Facebook, X, etc.).
This is a remote position for candidates who are currently based outside of Sudan who have experience with and knowledge of the Sudanese context. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a part-time, limited-duration position that is expected to last 4 months.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Produce and publish original, high-quality multimedia content, such as articles, videos, podcasts, animations and infographics tailored to the community questions and information needs
- Ensure all content is in line with project goals, editorial and stylistic guidelines and is actionable, comprehensive, accurate, easy to understand and engaging
- Collect feedback and continually monitor content to ensure it is clear, understandable and making an impact
- Review, edit and translate (where necessary) content created by other organizations delivering humanitarian services
- Establish and maintain clear editorial guidelines, processes and standards including an editorial workflow that allows seamless coordination with team members
- Manage search engine optimizations (SEO) tools, techniques, and increase discoverability of the published content.
- Support the community engagement teams through developing an effective digital engagement campaign strategy to build, engage, and retain an audience on social media and website.
- Participate in all team meetings, workshops, strategy sessions, regular communications, etc., as established by the team leadership.
- Understanding of and demonstrating commitment to uphold Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Minimum 5 years experience in digital content creation creating multimedia content such as blogs, graphic design, infographics, animation, videos, podcasts etc.
- Expert-level knowledge of English and Arabic grammar and usage, including colloquial Sudanese Arabic.
- Knowledge of online content best practices, Search Engine Optimization and social media strategy.
- Proficiency in a range of design software such as In Design, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and online design tools such as Canva etc.
- Effective stakeholder management skills, navigating opposing views and content feedback to deliver positive outcomes.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but who are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- BA/BS in English, Journalism, Communications or a field in the humanities or social work is desired but not required.
- Experience in a newsroom, communications team or managing the online presence of a business or organization desired.
- Experience in a humanitarian organization a plus.
- Knowledge of the current Sudanese context is an asset.
- Experience working with refugees, migrants or displaced people in a voluntary or professional capacity.
How to apply
Please submit application materials at https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf04/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=INTERNEWS&cws=38&rid=2189.
Deadline: 26 Feb 2024