The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments, empowers people, and strengthens institutions to realize justice and promote peace and sustainable development. IDLO is the only global intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law and access to justice.
With its headquarters in Rome, Italy, a Branch Office in The Hague, and Permanent Observer Missions to the United Nations in New York and Geneva, IDLO carries out policy advocacy, research, and learning, as well as rule of law and justice programmes in countries through some 17 Country Offices operating in every region of the world.
Consultancy service to review and update IDLO’s Finance policies, procedures, and guidelines and consolidate them into a Finance Manual.
International Development Law Organization (IDLO) invites proposals from eligible consultants for the consultancy services called “Preparation of the IDLO Finance Manual” in accordance with the terms and conditions mentioned in the Terms of Reference.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Finance and in close collaboration with the Finance, Budget, and Reporting units, the consultant will be responsible for the preparation of the IDLO Financial Manual.
The consultant will be charged with reviewing the applicable policies, procedures, and guidelines and performing a gap analysis. He/she will make recommendations on how the gaps will be addressed, with the objective of consolidating the final procedures, and guidelines into a single document, the Finance Manual.
The consultant will update and recommend an appropriate finance manual that contains finance guidelines and procedures that are aligned with the financial regulations and rules. The Finance manual should utilize existing finance documents such as the financial management framework and other approved finance (policies, procedures, and guidelines). The Finance Manual should cover the processing, accounting, budgeting, management, and reporting of all financial transactions recognizing the differences between core funds (unrestricted) and project funds (restricted). The Finance Manual will support internal controls ensuring accountability to the IDLO Member States, stakeholders, and donors.
The Finance Manual must include consistent and uniform accounting policies in line with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
Key Activities will include the following:
- Undertake a comprehensive review of the financial regulations, financial rules, financial management framework, financial policies, procedures, internal controls, and guidelines currently adopted by IDLO.
- Liaise with IDLO staff to identify specific procedure gaps, barriers, conflicts, and discrepancies in light of IPSAS.
- Conduct a review of all forms that are relevant or directly linked to the financial process to bring in line with identified changes where necessary.
- Review the chart of accounts, general ledger set up, templates, and forms to ensure they correspond to the IDLO Finance Manual requirements and IPSAS. Recommend any changes as necessary.
- Align the Financial Manual with international best practices related to Financial, Accounting, and Budgeting Procedures and Reporting Standards. Review the accounting manuals of comparator organizations and based on the evidence collected, identify areas of improvement, and propose actions to include into
IDLO’s Finance Manual.
- Create a comprehensive Financial Manual that is the main point of reference for IDLO on financial procedures, and guidelines and is in line with the IDLO financial regulations and rules.
Inception Report describing among other things: –
the initial review of the existing Finance, Budget, and Reporting units’ regulations, rules, management framework, policies, procedures, and guidelines;
the proposed items to be included in the finance manual, including a proposed table of content, design, and layout plan;
a detailed approach and work plan for the execution of the assignment.
First draft Financial Manual, that aligns to the needs and standards of IDLO, IPSAS, and international financial, budgeting, reporting, and accounting best practice.
Presentation of the first draft Financial Manual to IDLO.
Second draft Financial Manual, that reflects feedback from the review of the first draft.
Presentation of the second draft Financial Manual to IDLO.
Final Financial Manual, that must incorporate feedback received from IDLO and any other updates deemed necessary.
Delivery of training to IDLO finance staff on the final draft of the Financial Manual, with the objective of showing the architecture and rules governing the Finance, Budget, and Reporting Units.
The Finance Manual should be clearly written and easy to understand, with a table of contents that’s easy to use for employees who wish to quickly refer to material on a certain topic. The manual must include consistent and uniform accounting and budgeting policies, procedures, guidelines, and controls, in line with IPSAS. Any acronyms used should be commonly understood and used consistently across IDLO.
Obligations of IDLO
To facilitate the execution of this consultancy, IDLO will provide the following:
- Available background documents and information relevant to the assignment;
- Facilitate virtual contact and dialogue with relevant staff and stakeholders, as necessary, upon request of the Consultant.
Location and duration of the assignment
The consultant is expected to work from his/her home base in order to keep within the guidelines of the recently developed COVID-19 Pandemic.
- All necessary documentation will be made available electronically and virtual interviews with IDLO personnel shall be organized.
- The estimated duration of the consultancy is six (06) months between April 1 to September 30, 2022.
Remuneration and Terms of Payment
The Consultant will receive a consultancy fee to be paid in the following installments: –
- First installment – 10% of the total fee shall be paid upon submission and approval by IDLO of the inception report (including timeframe) one week after commencement of the assignment.
- Second installment – 10% of the total fee shall be paid upon submission of the first draft Finance Manual.
- Third installment – 20% of the total fee shall be paid upon the satisfactory submission of the second draft Finance Manual.
- Fourth installment – 30% of the total fee shall be paid upon the satisfactory submission of the final Finance Manual.
- The final installment – 30% of the total fee shall be paid upon submission and approval by IDLO of the final Finance Manual that includes recommendations for the continued approach to maintaining the documents.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Qualifications and Experience Requirements: –
- Master’s, advanced university degree, or internationally recognized qualifications in Finance, Accounting, or Business Studies.
- At least 15 years of experience with international public organizations in finance and accounting, with some roles in policy formulation.
- Experience formulating and drafting financial policies and guidelines, including design, development, and updating of Finance and Accounting Manuals.
- Knowledge and experience in implementing International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- The high degree of computer literacy and experience in using accounting software such as (but not limited to) MS NAVISION would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a multi-disciplinary international team of experts.
- Fluency in written and oral English to ensure excellent communication/documentation in the development of the Finance Manual.
- Previous work or consultancy experience on subjects related to the provision of advice on and drafting of Finance Manuals and accounting policies in a similar organization to IDLO.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates. IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend or change responsibilities and/or even to cancel the recruitment without any notice to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
The application deadline is Monday, February 28, 2022
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to send: –
- A cover letter that should include an expression of interest clearly specifying understanding of the assignment, steps in the assignment, limitations, innovative suggestions, and a detailed budget.
- A Portfolio or CV, indicating previous experiences in similar assignments with examples including experience in international public sector accounting standards.
To be considered for this position, please make sure you complete your application on the following link: Consultancy – Preparation of the IDLO Finance Manual | IDLO – International Development Law Organization (impactpool.org)