Job Title: Community Participation Coordinator – Jubaland
Reporting to: Community Participation Lead
Type of position: National
Grade and Salary: As per Somali Country Structure
Contract terms and hours: Contract- 37.5 hours per week
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people – we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We are a notfor-profit organisation operational in 12 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Saferworld has been working to promote peace, democratisation and good governance in Somalia and Somaliland since 2004. We support civil society’s involvement, particularly women’s and youth groups, in crucial decision-making processes on peace, to identify drivers of conflict within the Somali region and to inform strategies to address them.
About the Programme
Saferworld and Asal Consulting have been selected as to implement the Participatory Public Policy (P3) and Institutional Strengthening component of the Nabadgelinta Soomaaliyaa programme.
The programme’s intended impact is to have Somalis benefit from improved security and access to justice through inclusive approaches that enjoy elite support and public confidence. Although the programme aims to achieve this impact for all Somali citizens, there is a particular emphasis on Somalis in vulnerable groups, including women, members of minority clans and internally displaced persons (IDPs). There is an assumption that if improved security and justice benefits those in vulnerable groups then there will be wider benefits to all Somalis.
The successful candidate will be responsible for facilitating and promoting Saferworld and Asal
Consulting to ensure active community engagement and participation in the Nabadgelinta project. They will work closely with state actors, leaders, community members and stakeholders to foster a sense of ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity within the community.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with community members, organisations and stakeholders to foster collaboration and cooperation.
- Plan and execute community activities, including public meetings, workshops and events to gather input, disseminate information, and promote participation.
- Work with community structures to enhance their capacities
- Link with state actors and existing community systems
- Facilitate community dialogues in respective regions and work with community leaders in addressing project objectives
- Create structures within the community to hold Government accountable and ensure community input and participation
- Ensure collaboration between existing traditional structures and Government structures
- Prepare reports and presentations documenting the progress, achievements, and challenges of community participation efforts
- Support for ensuring that all project activities are gender sensitive, responsive and mainstreamed and effective involvement of women in project activities.
- Support and facilitate in the identification of challenges and constrains faced during the implementation of project activities related to accountability and partnership issues.
- Fully participate in the Programme coordination meetings, plenary team meetings, review and input of programme documents, regular reporting and other work or activities stemming from the programme, as requested
- Collaborate with internal teams, community organisations, and government agencies to identify opportunities for partnership and leverage resources for community development.
- Conduct surveys, interviews, and assessments to identify community needs, priorities, and concerns.
- Serve as a liaison between the community and relevant organisations or authorities to advocate for community interests and ensure their representation in decision-making processes.
- Develop and deliver training programmes, workshops, and resources to enhance community members’ skills, knowledge, and capacity to participate effectively.
- Collect, analyse, and report data related to community participation, engagement levels, and outcomes to assess the effectiveness of initiatives.
Key working relationships
- Internal working relationship with partner staff working with community action forums and government agencies and other stakeholders
- Internal close working relationship within Saferworld and Asal Consulting for information and experience and work relationships.
- External working relationship with state authorities including, INGOs and improve linkages, networking and collaborations on community security and safety work.
Scope and accountability
Decision making and limits of authority
Participating in decisions based on delegated authority
Contribute to activity budgeting
Legal, regulatory and compliance responsibility
- Ensure compliance with country labour laws
- Adhere to Saferworld financial policies
- Follow Saferworld security and safeguarding policies
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- Degree in community development, social work, sociology, or a related field
- Have over 3 years of professional work experience in different capacities with local and international NGOs
- Good understanding of the local context
Skills and abilities
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills.
- Knowledge of community development principles, participatory approaches, and best practices in community engagement
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to build relationships, engage with diverse community members, and facilitate collaboration.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, demonstrating leadership and problemsolving abilities.
- Familiarity with data collection and analysis methods to evaluate community engagement and assess programme effectiveness.
- Experience in volunteer coordination, training, and community organising is desirable.
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
- Strong representation and relationship management abilities.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills. Team work and team building
The successful candidate will be required to travel frequently
How to apply
Send your CV and a covering letter addressing the person specification and why you feel your experience matches the requirements of the role to [email protected] with job ref (CPC-JL) Deadline for applications: 10 July 2023 on a rolling basis
To apply for this job please visit reliefweb.int.