The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
The Communications and Media Manager is a foundational member of Access Now’s global Advocacy Arm. This role is instrumental in developing and proliferating Access Now’s external voice, shaping and diversifying global dialogues, and creating international momentum to defend and extend human rights in the digital age.
The Communications and Media Manager sparks action and fans the flames of change through creating, developing, and implementing media and communications strategies and plans.
Working closely with the Director – Communications and Engagement and the Communications and Engagement senior management team, this role sits within the Communications and Engagement team, coordinating and collaborating across Policy and International Programs, Campaigns and Rapid Response, Legal Programmatic, RightsCon, the Digital Security Helpline, and the organisation, to ensure our human rights objectives are surpassed. The Manager reports through the Director – Communications and Engagement, line-manages a small team of communications professionals, and is based anywhere in the world, with preference given to UTC+1 through UTC-5 time zones.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Manage a small team of communications professionals working across the organisation
- Work closely with the Director – Communications and Engagement and the Communications and Engagement management team to develop and implement the Communications and Engagement team strategy and plan
- Develop and implement global, regional, and targeted communications and engagement, and media strategies to support our campaigns, achieve our advocacy goals, and raise our international profile:
- Work with team members from across Access Now to plan, prioritise, and streamline media, communications and engagement, and campaign strategies, plans, and efforts
- Collaborate with the Communications and Engagement team to shape the messaging, communication, and production process of the organisation’s programmatic work
- Collaborate on social media and digital engagement strategies
- Collaborate on media outreach and engagement for the annual RightsCon summit
- Develop and improve guidance and policies to ensure Access Now’s media and communications strategies, plans, and outputs uplift and include voices, centre people and communities at-risk, and positively challenge the status quo
- Manage, prioritise, and generate media requests and engagement:
- Monitor and respond to media requests
- Coordinate internal media responses
- Coordinate and oversee the writing, editing, and issuing of press releases, op-eds, pitches, letters to the editor, and other communications materials
- Coordinate with the Campaigns and Rapid Response team on rapid response on breaking news and media opportunities
- Support Access Now staff in effective media engagement
- Support the team in developing talking points and responses to press requests
- Provide training and interview preparation
- Review, advise, and sign off on media quotes and other content
- Establish and effect best practice trainings, policies, and guides for media engagement
- Maintain and grow Access Now’s press lists and media relationships:
- Monitor, update, and expand Access Now’s Media Alerts email lists
- Nurture proactive relationships with journalists, and work with Access Now staff to develop individual media relationships into organisational ones
- Track and share media mentions internally and externally
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Seven years professional-level work experience in English language communications, journalism, media engagement, public relations, or similar role, preferably reporting, editing, and publishing fact-based content as part of a newsroom or a communications role in civil society or other relevant sectors
- Native-level persuasive English writing and editing skills, with the ability to repackage complex ideas into clear, accessible messaging for a variety of audiences, fluency in another language such as French, Spanish, or Arabic preferred
- Experience in managing a small team
- Familiarity with the international media landscape, partnered with the initiative and persuasiveness needed to to initiate action
- Unparalleled attention to detail
- Ability to work remotely in a fast-paced environment, respond quickly to changing situations, and manage competing priorities
- A creative and open approach to working, and a curiosity and drive to continual learning
- Impeccable internal and external communication and project management skills, paired with cultural sensitivity and openness
- Familiarity with WordPress or other content management tools, social media platforms, and editing and design software, or desire to learn
- Experience in using digital organising and fundraising tools, including email lists, CRM systems (such as Engaging Networks), and data analytics
- Some understanding of human rights and technology, and interest in learning more about the issues covered by Access Now and RightsCon
- Appropriate education and work preparation for the role, with Bachelor or Master degree equivalent in communication, journalism, media, or similar
This is a full-time position, ideally located in Brussels; Berlin; San Jose, Costa Rica; or the United States. The successful candidate must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. At this time Access Now Team Members are working through hybrid office arrangements, combining remote at-home work with flexible use of Access Now’s offices. We are also able to consider candidates in other locations where Access Now maintains an established staff presence, including select locations in Africa, Latin America, and Europe.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align competitively with locations and regions around the world. Location-specific examples of initial placement within the salary range for this role include:
- €6,394.00 EUR gross monthly (Belgium)
- $4760.00 USD gross monthly (Costa Rica)
- €6997.00 EUR gross monthly (Germany)
- $6,930.00 USD gross monthly (United States)
Benefits for this specific role are tied to the location, and will vary. Regardless of location, all Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Access to supplemental health care insurance policies
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via external link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Snaphunt, Zip Recruiter), be sure that you are going through the application link in BambooHR so that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
How to apply