Chemonics seeks a Climate Data Solutions Team Lead for the anticipated USAID-funded Environment New Adaptation Activity. The five year, $25 million project aims to improve urban climate and disaster resilience in Indonesia 1) supporting GOI efforts to integrate disaster risk reduction and climate adaptation in sub-national core development plans and investment, 2) mobilizing finance to advance urban climate resilience, 3) strengthening systems for collection and application of climate data, services, and decision support tools to improve planning processes in target cities, and 4) advancing urban nature based solutions to promote climate resilience. The climate data solutions team lead will work to improve access to and actionable use of climate and disaster risk information for a variety of stakeholders in the government, private sector, and civil society. We are seeking individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Build capacity at all levels of Indonesian government, from municipal or district to national institutions, to inform decision-making and planning processes with climate and disaster data
- Provide technical assistance to enable Indonesian counterparts to build long-term monitoring and analytical capacity, including GIS, to support evidence-based decision making, with a focus on disaster-related information relevant to coastal communities, such as fisheries and related sectors
- Foster collaboration between BMKG and local communities to use climate data for area-specific planning and disaster response
- Expand accessibility to advanced remote sensing, open mapping, information management and dissemination, and decision-support technological solutions related to the acquisition and dissemination of weather and climate information, vulnerability mapping, and disaster preparedness
- Build design-support tools and processes to help decision-makers understand the socio-economic implications of potential interventions, including the costs of inaction, and offer a framework for local governments to consult with people, including the urban poor, affected by proposed plans and investments
- Support municipal mechanisms for information management and dissemination of climate data for disaster preparedness
- Advanced degree in information technology, data analytics, engineering, climate change communication, or a related field preferred
- Minimum seven years of professional experience in international development
- Strong capabilities in improving access to and application of climate data
- Experience strengthening capacity to incorporate climate data into municipal planning
- Demonstrated expertise in advanced remote sensing, open mapping, information management and dissemination, and/or decision-support technological solutions
- Strong ability to engage constructively and diplomatically with a wide range of government and non-governmental institutions, private sector actors, local civil society organizations, and local stakeholders with divergent perspectives and interests
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- English and Indonesian language fluency required
How to apply
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] by February 26, 2024. Emails should include a CV and cover letter and “Climate Data Solutions Team Lead” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data.