Water For People
Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees across the world help drive this solution.
Reporting directly to one of the Co-Chief Executive Officers (Co-CEO), the Chief Impact Officer (CIO) ensures effective communication, execution, and adaptation of our organizational strategy for 2030 and our three-year rolling Strategic Plan. This position provides oversight and leadership to the Influence Team and to the Strategic Accountability and Adaptation Team as they work to implement our global influence plan and our organizational MEL framework, including evidence-based planning processes. The CIO will represent both teams as a member of our Global Leadership Team and will play a critical role in transitioning Water For People to place greater emphasis on the national impact pathway (national systems strengthening) as part of the organizational strategy. The role will also be responsible for thought leadership and support to country programs on addressing challenges to achievement of sustainable WASH services locally. The CIO will also represent Water For People externally on programmatic topics to enhance our visibility and reputation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Lead implementation of our organizational strategy (called Destination 2030) and three-year strategic plan. This includes leading and formalizing required updates to the organizational strategy while focusing on learning, long-term trends and outlook, and competitive intelligence.
- Create and chair a Program Strategy and Delivery committee which will include the Director of Influence, Director of Strategic Accountability and Adaptation, the Africa Regional Director, the Latin America Regional Director, and the India Country Director, to meet regularly and make key. programmatic decisions, identify and ensure thoughtful rollout of global programmatic initiatives, etc.
- Facilitate process for each country program to develop and maintain a clear vision for their countries that are aligned to achievement of SDG 6.1 and 6.2, including definition of what needs to happen in each country for those targets to be achieved and Water For People’s role.
- Ensure national impact pathway (national system strengthening) work is understood and prioritized across the organization, in support of strong WASH systems in the countries where we work.
- Support organizational change related to the addition of human and financial capacity in all growth areas of our Destination 2030 strategy.
- Provide thought leadership and support to country programs to address challenges to achieve sustainable WASH services in our district-level work.
- Collaborate with the other Global Leadership Team (GLT) members and ensure the strategy is understood, communicated, and implemented across the entire organization.
- Lead global development of organizational strategy scorecard, including annual priorities across the organization, and related tracking and reporting.
- Work closely with the Co-CEOs to keep the Board informed of strategic matters and progress and challenges related to our impact.
- Facilitate development of our rolling three-year strategic plans and our post-2030 organizational strategy.
Strategic Accountability and Adaptation
- Manage the Director of Strategic Accountability and Adaptation and provide support on decision-making related to programmatic monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) processes globally.
- Ensure implementation of all organizational MEL processes, including evidence-based planning aligned with the Destination 2030 results framework at local, national, and global levels.
- Report annually on progress of strategy implementation against impact targets established in the results framework.
- Report annually on progress of strategy implementation against the strategic plan annual priorities and targets.
- Lead review of and update (as needed) the D30 Strategy with team leads of D30 Alliance members and in coordination with the D30 Alliance Manager.
- Lead the annual review and update (as needed) of the strategic plan annually with the GLT.
- Manage the Director of Influence and provide support on organizational influence, consulting, and partnerships to achieve the global impact pathway objectives of our strategy.
- Ensure technical support is provided to country programs on national impact activities (including thematic areas climate/WRM, market systems development, finance and planning, etc.), and on the pursuit and implementation of funding opportunities, as requested.
- Develop recommendations for strategic partnerships and collaborations in the WASH sector for Water For People to gain global influence.
- Represent Water For People at key international conferences, in WASH alliances and at WASH functions.
- Ensure impactful contributions from Water For People in partnerships including Sanitation and Water for All (SWA), Agenda For Change, Millennium Water Alliance, etc.
Programmatic Leadership and Coordination
- In collaboration with the Director of Influence and the Director of Strategic Accountability and Adaptation, across the two teams:
- Build a global team culture through modeling and promoting an inclusive environment, proactive communication, individual and team resilience, and effective change management
- Identify opportunities for professional development for all team members.
- Lead staff planning and budgeting for growth and ensure alignment with countries, regions, and our organizational transformation commitments which include JEDI and subsidiarity.
- Ensure increased prioritization of programmatic evaluation as a key part of MEL.
- Ensure effective and efficient programmatic support to country programs on institutional funding opportunities, pre- and post-award, with prioritization of in-country opportunities.
- Ensure alignment, effective communication, information sharing, and effective collaboration across the two teams.
- Inspire innovative program design that is aligned with the organizational strategy, with a primary focus on national impact (scaling) pathways to strengthen WASH systems.
- Lead decision-making on aspects of Water For People’s consulting work aligned to our strategy that are of a global nature, including rate structure, revenue sharing, efficiency considerations, improving processes, etc.
- Lead decision-making and provide oversight to Water For People’s potential new programs in the US and/or Canada.
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Administrative Officer, and Regional Directors to support corporate functions including continuous improvement in risk management, talent management, finance, and other areas.
- Support Donor Impact Team with fundraising initiatives as requested, including donor meetings and in-country fundraising.
- Lead other organizational initiatives as requested by the Co-CEOs.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED*:*
- Bachelor’s degree required and master’s degree preferred (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in strategic planning and/or global operations in international development.
- Seasoned professional, with a strong strategy orientation, who has previously held several operational roles in fast-paced and complex environments. Work experience should include success in a period of growth and/or transition.
- Ability to apply a variety of strategic frameworks to analyze problems and to guide and develop solutions.
- Ability to translate and communicate complex topics in a variety of forums, tailoring communications to effectively fit and influence the targeted audience.
- Strong executive presence, presentation, and communication skills.
- Ability to lead the entire range of problem-solving work from problem definition to analysis, recommendation, and the development of implementation plans.
- Ability to influence on a global and virtual stage, demonstrating courage, an approachable style and inspiring confidence.
- Ability to bridge cultural boundaries and norms to overcome barriers and improve outcomes
- Ability to work collaboratively with key internal and external leaders, partners, suppliers, and customers.
- Proven record of accomplishment with strategy and operational planning, development, and execution.
- Professional-level proficiency in English, written and spoken is essential; Spanish preferred.
- Advanced computer proficiencies in MS Office 365 and specifically Microsoft Excel.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time domestically and internationally including to developing countries where travel is rugged.
- Ability to work outside typical offices hours at times to collaborate across multiple time zones.
- This position has the option to work from an office or remotely in one of the following countries where Water For People is present: Guatemala, Honduras, India, Malawi, Peru, Rwanda, Uganda, the United Kingdom, or the United States. Candidates must be a citizen or legally authorized to work in the country in which they live.
- Water For People will not support remote work from other countries besides those listed above and from the following states: NY, NJ, WA, VT, and CA.
- Water For People will consider a candidate who wishes to relocate for this position but will not sponsor a visa.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
US anticipated salary range $138,500 – $175,500 per year. (If based outside the US an equivalent country market – based salary will be determined)
Actual salary will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors.
Benefits are one of the ways we encourage healthy living for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind, and social well-being. To that end, we provide a global EAP and Telehealth benefit to address your holistic health. Healthy living also includes financial wellness tools including, digital tools, classes, counseling, paid time off and generous retirement savings plan**. If the position is based outside the US, benefits will be dictated by the country in which the selected candidate is located.**
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Water For People is committed to protecting children encountered during our work and by our employees, preventing sexual abuse and exploitation of all individuals with a particular focus on women and children and other marginalized communities in the performance of our work, preventing human trafficking in the performance of our work and in our supply chain and to having a drug-free workplace. During the recruitment processes, additional documentation will be requested to comply with our policies and in accordance with the legal requirements in your country of residency, this includes a background check. If you apply for employment, we want you to be aware of our recruitment, selection and hiring processes including important policies regarding employee conduct.
Water For People is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to creating a culture of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our workplace. For this position we strongly encourage women and people with disabilities to apply. Water for people strives to create and maintain a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of race, ethnicity, ancestry, tribal affiliation, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, veteran status, disability, socioeconomic class, educational attainment, or other social identities is critical to our ability to have a world where every person has access to reliable and safe water and sanitation services.
Our commitment ensures that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating each other with dignity, respect, and appreciation enabling us to feel welcome, supported, and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with stakeholders within our diverse communities.
- Have diversity of thought, perspectives, backgrounds, identities, and talents that will support our mission to develop high-quality drinking water and sanitation services are available to Everyone Forever.
How to apply
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with your resume and cover letter to this position.