Business Development & Grants Management Consultancy
Terms of Reference
01 July – 30 September 2022 (65 working days)
Based remotely. Postholder will be expected to work Jordan/Syria working hours, 09:00 – 17:00 as a minimum.
CARE is one of the world’s leading international humanitarian and development organisations, committed to helping people in poor communities improve their lives and alleviate poverty. Founded in 1945, CARE is working across 94 countries to fight global poverty and marginalisation. CARE began operating in Syria in 2013 to provide life-saving emergency assistance to people affected by the ongoing conflict. CARE puts women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE Syria is currently working on developing response strategies for all aspects of CARE Syria’s response, in a bid to ensure continued relevancy and secure additional funds for future years of program implementation.
The Business Development & Grants Manager (Consultancy) is a mid-level oversight position responsible for business development, grants management, resource creation/management, coordinating and developing relevant proposals and reports for the furtherance of CARE’s programming inside Syria.
The postholder may be requested to conduct research on donor priorities, funding trends, donor and government priorities and provide senior management with regular updates on the funding environment within the Whole of Syria (WoS) response model. S/he will also be responsible for coordinating and developing quality concept notes, proposals and reports to donors, as required. S/he will be closely working with the Head of Programs and Country Director, as well as technical advisors and hub leads, to ensure resources are available in a timely fashion for donor and other relevant stakeholder communications and relationship development.
Additionally, the postholder will be responsible for grants oversight for all CARE Syria hubs, including scheduling regular BvA meetings, project cycle management coaching sessions and program compliance oversight.
The position will directly report to the Head of Programs and be required to provide ad hoc support to the Head of Programs and Country Director as required.
Responsibility #1 – Business Development (60%)
Increase scope of CARE Syria’s funding portfolio by:
- Supervise and ensure proper facilitation of project design and proposal workshops across multiple hubs
- Coordinate and take responsibility for the writing and development of concept notes and proposals across multiple hubs
- Work with CARE Syria hubs and technical advisors to develop and coordinate new resources for donor engagement across multiple CARE Syria hubs (position papers, context analysis, summary concept notes etc.), including resources for other teams across the CARE confederation (CARE Member Partners)
- Identify opportunities for programme and funding campaigns to increase funding opportunities for CARE Syria
- Critically review proposal inputs developed by to ensure adherence to donor priorities and requirements, ensuring all proposals alignment with CO/CI programming priorities
- On occasion, provide representation of CARE Syria at donor meetings as requested
- Other business development work as requested.
Responsibility #2 – Grants Management (40%)
- Develop tools and systems for donor communications tracking
- Provide support to hubs and CARE Syria country office on donor reporting, including leading on the writing and review of reports as needed.
- Lead on BvA review meetings and action planning for all CARE Syria hubs
- Actively participate and lead on kick-off, close out, lessons learned meetings, including acting as note-taker as required.
- Other grants management work as requested.
- Other relevant tasks as assigned by line manager, in-keeping with the purpose of the role. These may include coordinating information management systems across hubs, attending donor or consortia grants management meetings, hosting meetings with other INGO/NNGOs etc.
Matrix Management: Grants and Partnerships Coordinator (NES), Partnerships & Reporting Coordinator (Partnerships Hub)
Internal Contacts: Head of Programs, Acting Deputy Director Programs, Country Director, Finance Controller, Head of Program Support, Deputy Country Director – Operations, Grants/Finance Team, Procurement Team, HR Team, Partnerships + Programs Teams (NES), NWS colleagues, Regional Management Unit colleagues.
External Contacts: Donors, Partners, CARE Member Partners,Syria Resilience Consortium (SRC).
Reporting Lines: Reports in to Head of Programs – CARE Syria.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Community Development, or other relevant Social Sciences discipline.