International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is one of the world’s largest international humanitarian non-governmental organizations (INGO), at work in more than 40 countries and more than 25 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. A force for humanity, IRC employees delivers lasting impact by restoring safety, dignity and hope to millions. If you’re a solutions-driven, passionate change-maker, come join us in positively impacting the lives of millions of people world-wide for a better future.
Business Development (BD)
The Business Development Team, within which this role sits, oversees IRC’s public business development work with Institutional donors in collaboration with country programs and technical units. The team works to strengthen IRC’s long-term business development capacity and learning, through direct proposal development, by sharing standard practices and building upon tried approaches. We develop tools and processes that strengthen and simplify our business development efforts, and work with training colleagues to improve capacity across the organization.
We prioritize effective partnerships and collaboration, internally and externally, locally and internationally. This includes strengthening the engagement and representation of national partners in our program design and team structures, as well as using our interpersonal connections with peers and donors to improve successful business development and impact for clients.
The Business Development Associate works to ensure the smooth running of the Business Development department with a focus on project support, bid resourcing, data and learning.
Reporting to the BD Operations Manager, the role will work closely with the BD Directors. It will provide project coordination and administrative support for the roll out of the BD Process project, a high priority initiative for the BD team. It seeks to standardize IRC’s business development processes across the organization in line with industry practice. This will include supporting regional and country program staff with training plans and coordination and project tracking. Working with the BD Associate (Specialist) it will be the focal point for the BD opportunity database, supporting effective bid resourcing and supporting coordination across teams. In addition, the role will support the BD Operations Manager with a range of departmental tracking, administrative and project initiatives.
Business Development Process (50%)
• Serve as the administrative focal point for the BD process project, working with the project team to monitor and administer the project roll-out.
• Liaise with regional and global staff to ensure all vital support for training and project roll out is available.
• Arrange coordination meetings with project team, senior staff and regional colleagues.
• Use project management tracking tools to highlight risk and to support mitigation.
• Support with project communications to ensure the BD process is widely understood and utilized.
• Support the Senior Director with budget tracking and reporting as required.
• Compile and coordinate feedback on the process, and annual updates to the manual, associated tools and online platform.
BD Opportunities (25%)
• Provide administrative support to ensure effective and consistent use of the BD opportunity database, tracking proposal resourcing and working across teams to support that resourcing.
• Coordinate tracking and implementation of the BD Decision-making framework, establishing tracking systems/tools to assess progress and administering the work of the Global BD Decision Making Group
• BD Pipeline Coordination: Support the operations manager to coordinate regional and technical pipeline meetings ensuring dissemination and communication of effective data and materials.
General Strategic Administrative and Coordination Support (25%)
• Support the BD Operations Manager with coordination mechanisms to ensure smooth interactions among BD teams, AMU teams, and other IRC entities.
• Collaborate with the BD Management and AMU Strategic Operations team to facilitate onboarding activities and provide orientation materials to new IRC Inc. staff. Streamline BD onboarding tools and processes.
• Support the BD Operations Manager with planning, scheduling and administering BD meetings and conference calls, ensuring smooth and effective operations.
• Manage calendar invites, conference call details, meeting logistics, preparation of materials, and taking minutes and actions as requested. Coordinate follow-up activities.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Administrative or operational experience, ideally in a humanitarian NGO environment
• Excellent organizational skills; detail-oriented; ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks, and to learn quickly.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to efficiently and effectively liaise with people within and across departments in a multi-cultural environment.
• A team player and an independent performer in a very fast-paced environment.
• A flexible work demeanor and a calm manner.
• Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, project management tools.
• Experience in data management and data analysis is an advantage
• Experience in humanitarian assistance and/or non-profit work an advantage
• Experience in project management a strong advantage.
Posted pay ranges apply to UK-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Standard of Professional Conduct: The IRC and the IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – our Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability, and Equality.
Commitment to Gender, Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion: The IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. The IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of the IRC persons in any work setting. We aim to increase the representation of women, people that are from country and communities we serve, and people who identify as races and ethnicities that are under-represented in global power structures.
How to apply