Work Location: either at Geneva head office or in one of the following ICJ regional offices: Brussels or Tunis.
Position Start date: as soon as possible.
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is a global network of judges and lawyers united in affirming international law and rule of law principles that advance human rights. Since 1952, the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) has performed a unique and prominent role as a nongovernmental organization defending human rights and the rule of law worldwide. With its Headquarters based in Geneva, ICJ operates on the ground in Africa, Latin America, Asia & the Pacific, Europe & Central Asia, and the Middle East.
The ICJ is seeking to recruit a proactive and flexible Accounting Officer. The ideal candidate has at least 5 years’ professional experience with focus on recording and maintaining financial transactions.
As part of the Finance team and in close coordination with program managers, finance officers and directors, the Bookkeeping and Accounting Officer will provide a critical role in the data collection and data input of the organization and ensure accurate financial information and compliance with internal financial procedures and reporting standards.
Working under the supervision of the Director of Finance & Administration, the Bookkeeping and Accounting Officer’s tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Perform the daily book-keeping, ensuring that the accounting is done in a timely and accurate manner, according to the organization’s procedures and principles;
- Record monthly payroll for the whole organization;
- Receive and process invoices in the accounting software;
- Perform the grant bookings from the contract recognition to the revenue recognition;
- Perform the monthly accounting closure transactions and controls, and prepare the related reports;
- Perform the yearly accounting closure transactions and help in the preparation of the yearly financial statements in alignment with the legal requirements;
- Support the statutory audit throughout the process;
- Provide support to any other audit;
- Assist in other financial and administrative tasks as requested by the Director of Finance & Administration.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in Accounting or a related finance field.
Experience & accounting skills
- At least 5 years work experience in accounting or finance; Experience with an NGO an asset;
- Demonstrated strong skills in daily bookkeeping, accounting closure, internal controls required; experience in revenue recognition and audit support highly desirable.
- Knowledge of analytical accounting and familiarity with Swiss GAAP Accounting norms is an asset;
- Fluent in English (written and spoken); Fluent in French is an asset;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Spread sheet and Word-processing programmes; Knowledge of Accounting software an asset (Navision);
- Strong organisational, planning and time-management skills;
- Ability to take initiative;
- Ability to work under pressure and to adapt to changing priorities and needs;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork;
- Commitment to human rights and the rule of law.
The ICJ is an equal opportunities employer and offers a competitive salary package. No relocation package is foreseen.
How to apply
APPLICATIONS should be addressed with your resume (maximum two pages), a cover letter (maximum two pages), and the names of at least two references:
- By email to: [email protected]
- Ref: Bookkeeping and Accounting Officer
The deadline for applications is 10 April 2022, midnight Central European Time (CET).
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Please appreciate that due to the volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The ICJ is unable to respond to phone enquiries.
The ICJ is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and value a diverse workforce. The ICJ’s policy is to practice a fair and non-discriminatory recruitment and selection procedure and to strive for and maintain international and multi-cultural personnel.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Subscribe to get the latest vacancies