International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 24 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
The IRC is part of a multi-agency response to support families in San Diego who are seeking asylum. The Caseworker will provide case management for persons remaining in San Diego during the process of seeking asylum.
The Caseworker will provide high-quality case management to families and individuals in San Diego who are seeking asylum, both from the IRC office and offsite locations. This includes but is not limited to conducting intake assessments, developing a service plan with clients, and providing ongoing case management with internal and external referrals to help them meet their needs and goals in areas such as basic needs, legal representation, physical and mental health, economic wellbeing, housing, school enrollment of children. This requires close collaboration with IRC colleagues as well as other service providers in San Diego.
- Provide high-quality case management for a caseload of Asylum Seeking Families (ASF) and individuals who remain in San Diego. That includes assessments, intake, and individualized service plans to support clients in achieving self-sufficiency and ensure that clients are provided the basic tools necessary to meet their established goals and objectives;
- Support clients through service referrals based on each client’s unique needs, and ensure clients understand the time and location of required appointments and court dates;
- Ensure that clients are provided the basic tools vital to meet their established short-term goals & objectives;
- Provide individualized and group Know Your Rights orientations, orientations to public transportation, and other relevant topics;
- Assessing and monitoring client progress at regular intervals to ensure progress on goals is made, designated resources are maximized; modifying initial service plans with clients, and other case file documents as required;
- Ensure timely compliance with both case file management and reporting requirements while using appropriate data tracking systems. This entails regular and timely maintenance of both hard-copy and electronic client case files per best practice standards including writing detailed case notes, data entry in the ETO system, collecting client documents and signatures;
- Perform various administrative tasks including financial reconciliations, requesting payments and printing out vouchers/transmittal sheets, completing individual mileage reimbursement requests and others as required;
- Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities;
- Work as part of a team to provide comprehensive strength-based services to IRC clients through coordination of cases and effective communication between team members and departments;
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position reports to Safety & Wellness Program Manager
- Collaborates with Safety & Wellness Caseworkers, MSW Interns, Technical Advisors, internal IRC services, and external service providers and agencies
- Undergraduate degree, ideally in Social Work or similar field of study;
- Minimum of 3+ years relevant work experience in human services field (in addition to the above), ideally previous case management experience;
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment;
- Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member;
- Follow strict guidelines of client confidentiality;
- Self- starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties and manage time effectively;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Proficient in spoken and written English and Russian is required;
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.
- Standard, professional office environment;
- This position will work both from the IRC office in City Heights and El Cajon;
- During pandemic: Some at home work with reliable internet. Non-pandemic: Standard, professional office environment;
- Offices hours are scheduled as Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm; some evening and weekend events required;
- Regular travel to off-site locations is required;
- Access to a reliable vehicle to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.