About Evidence Action
Evidence Action is a global nonprofit organization with an approach distinctive in international development – we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Since our founding in 2013, we have reached over 515 million people globally with our interventions. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator.
We do development differently. We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Program has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.8 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Safe Water Now provides sustained safe water access to over 10 million people in Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths.
We drive innovation: Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exiting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people.
We are global. Across nine countries in Africa and Asia, our 700+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background – with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused.
We have big ambitions. Over the next decade, we’re setting our sights higher: We aim to reach over 600 million people globally to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action – because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we.
We need great people. Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
The Associate, MLE is a member of the Monitoring Learning and Evaluation Department and is responsible for supporting all Evidence Action’s Monitoring and Evaluation activities in the south-south zone of Nigeria, which currently covers Rivers and Cross Rivers, with possible expansion to States within the Zone.
This is an exciting position that involves providing technical support to the DTW program teams and the NTD departments of the respective State Ministries of Health to implement the STH/SCH program by supporting data management activities, data verification activities, process monitoring and coverage validation while managing stakeholder relationships and implementing quality assurance and control measures during data collection and management.
Duties and responsibilities
Management of Vendors and Independent Monitors
▪ Support the sourcing for vendors to provide data collection service to Evidence Action in Nigeria
▪ Oversee independent monitor’s recruitment by IM firms in the south-south zone
▪ Support IM firm to collect process monitoring and coverage evaluation data in Rivers State
▪ Supervise Field Consultant and independent monitors during field data collection and ensure timely remunerations to the same after engagements in Cross River State.
▪ Support the yearly recruitment of independent monitors for replenishment of the pool in Cross River State.
▪ Maintain and updates independent monitors’ databases.
▪ Liaise with supervisor and HR to ensure timely contracting of independent monitors prior to field activities in Cross River State.
▪ Implement process monitoring and coverage validation data collection activities in Cross Rivers State.
▪ Lead the verification and validation of data collected by IM vendors and the state through field visits, data reviews and checks (e.g., data validation, infield supervision and back checks)
Liaison person between MLE and Program, Government and Partners
▪ Represent MLE in program meetings with partners and government (at the supported states) where MLE presence is needed.
▪ Support state program planning and review meetings with M&E related tasks and ensure data is correctly captured, collected, documented, and available for planning and implementation. ▪ Fully understand program data needs and translating that back to the necessary MLE delivery team/members for necessary action. ▪ Collaborate with the MLE delivery teams to ensure unified understanding of DTW Nigeria data needs and its timely delivery
Training and Field Monitoring
▪ Support the training of monitors from the independent monitoring firm on data collection protocols before data collection
▪ Support training of government officials on data collection tools and data management platforms (E.g DHIS2).
▪ Support the state team during treatment data collection and verification.
Data Reporting (IM data & Treatment data)
▪ Support state data reporting team to submit accurate and timely treatment data to partners and national program after each treatment round
▪ Support state NTD programs transition to DHIS II or Google Sheet reporting platforms
▪ Support the review of microplanning document in all states in the south-south
▪ Support EAs DHIS II data management process: Ensure all program data are timely uploaded to the EA Information System
▪ Support the IM firm to submit timely and accurate reports on field monitoring activities conducted on behalf of Evidence Action
▪ Manage data verification exercise in supported states before treatment data reporting
▪ Accurately and timely raise issues/suggestion/areas of concerns around process monitoring
▪ Perform any other monitoring, evaluation and learning duties as may be required and assigned
▪ Bachelor’s degree in a Public Health, Economics, Statistics, Research, Demography, or Mathematics of relevant field; postgraduate degree in relevant fields will be an added advantage.
▪ 3 + years of program M&E experience in Nigeria specifically related to public health programs.
▪ Strong technical skills, with at least 2 years of practical experience managing and working directly with large teams for data collection;
▪ At least 2 years’ experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods
▪ Demonstrable capacity for knowledge transfer through trainings, mentoring, coaching: ability to improve learning through collaboration, learning and adaptation (CLA)
▪ Strong IT skills related to data collection platforms and software such as Google Sheets, Google Forms, MS Excel Spreadsheets, DHIS2 Mobile, Kobo Collect, ODK, CSPro, Survey CTO etc
▪ Cogent experience using DHIS II for reporting and analyzing health-related program data
▪ Strong presentation and reporting skills: demonstrate high level of writing skills. Candidate must be efficient in the use of Google Slides, Google Docs and Google sheets
▪ Excellent team management skills: possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
▪ Willing to travel across states on short notice, to multitask , and complete projects within stipulated time and standards
▪ Naturally inquisitive, detail-oriented and organized; willing to test out innovative ideas, challenge conventions and have high regard for evidence.
This position is domicile in Calabar, Cross Rivers State and will require extensive travel to LGAs within Calabar and to other states in the south-south Zone. Physical requirements
Calabar, Cross River State
How to apply