Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is seeking a talented professional to fill the role of Associate Director of Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance.
The Associate Director GRC serves in an advisory role to senior leaders, management and individual contributors across the global HFH network, including national organization CEOs and board members, on matters relating to governance support, risk management, internal controls, compliance, and related process improvements. The position leads the regional development and implementation of global frameworks and protocols that are currently lacking, weak or unclear relating to risk management and policy compliance. For certain specialized areas involving risk and compliance, (e.g., Safeguarding or Human Resources), the Associate Director GRC plays the role of collaborative partner in co-developing such frameworks and protocols with other functions or divisions within Habitat.
The Associate Director GRC must use their influence to achieve acceptance of new tools and processes without having direct authority over those persons—typically regional or national leadership and senior management—who are the decision-makers about whether and how such process should be adopted, or changes implemented. The Associate Director GRC addresses complex problems that are often global (applicable to at least three HFH regions) and cross-functional in nature, requiring them to collaborate cross-functionally and cross-regionally to devise effective solutions.
The GRC Associate Director will play a key role in information sharing with regional teams in the area offices about HFHI-level risks, facilitating coordination and alignment in the planning and implementation of risk mitigation and risk monitoring as between those identified global risk issues and challenges (which often require implementation and monitoring by regional teams) on the one hand, and those area office risk issues on the other (which may overlap, share common strategies with, or compete for time and resources with, HFHI level risk mitigation actions priorities).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive regional/area office Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) as well as risk assessment practices for critical HFHI projects and take the lead in assisting Country national offices to adopt and sustain ERM, including through reviewing and advising on risk registers, mitigation plans, and monitoring processes for key risks that may affect strategic and/or project objectives. (15%)
- Lead the design and execution of regional and national ERM workshops, support the development of risk registers with mitigation plans, monitor and report on effectiveness of mitigation plans. Facilitate the monitoring and reporting processes for Regional/Area Office ERM with the Regional/Area Office management team and risk owners. Responsible for cascading up and down risk information in the HFH network. Assist in the development of tools/protocols to determine risk appetite and tolerance for an organization, function, or project. (15%)
- Coordinate the follow-up on the implementation of internal audit recommendations with appropriate HFHI staff. (10%)
- Using a risk-based approach, evaluate internal controls and business processes and advise relevant HFH management on best course of action to improve efficiency, mitigate risks and comply with internal policies, laws and regulations. Engage in collaborative working partnerships with related functions (Internal Audit, Safety & Security, Safeguarding, Operations, Finance and Global People Teams, etc.) to identify and promote best practices, assist in building internal technical capacity to meet industry standards and ensure alignment with global governance, risk management and compliance objectives (10%)
- With respect to GRC’s ongoing work to develop a unified HFHI Global Risk and Internal Control framework, lead their respective regions contributions to and implementation of that framework, including the mapping of processes, risks, and internal controls into a framework that is utilized to identify, assess, monitor and report key risk and control issues. (5%)
- Support the HFHI and HFH policy management lifecycle. (5%-10%)
- Co-lead or assist in investigations, particularly where coordination among multiple regional SMEs is necessary (10%-15%)
- Partner with Investigations, HR, Internal Audit, Programs and other functions to ensure proper escalation of significant risk and control issues as the arise; improve internal programs and processes based on lessons learned from investigations or other reviews; and with respect to developing actionable GRC intelligence, review and evaluate the results of ERM, internal controls and compliance assessments/reviews. (10%-15%)
- Based on data from relevant risk reports, identify training needs related to risk and compliance, and develop and/or deliver training on internal controls, compliance, ethics, and anti-fraud measures. (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance or another related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 7-8 years related in one or more of the following fields – accounting, auditing, internal controls, risk management, compliance, preferably with an international organization
- Strong communications skills with the ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English and Spanish
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft office technology & willing to learn new GRC technologies
- Knowledge of risk management & internal control frameworks
- Experience in assessing and designing internal controls and process improvement
- Experience in assessing risks and their implications to the organization/project
- Experience in writing policies/procedures and process evaluation and documentation
- Ability to determine root cause of problem, support process owners in developing and implementing an appropriate and sustainable action plan
- Self –starter who can manage multiple projects and work collaboratively with all levels of management and across cultures
- Outstanding personal and professional integrity
- Quick learner, highly flexible and adaptive
- Ability to influence people and build trust and credibility across functions
- Proactive in personal development to build technical specialization and maintain awareness of governance, risk management and compliance (GRC) best practices
- Works in partnership with team members and cross functionally to achieve desired results of GRC function
Active support of HFHI Values:
- Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves
- Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular
- Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission
- Safeguarding: HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
Preferred – in addition to minimum: CPA, CIA, CFE, OCEG GRC or Risk related certification
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume by using the following link. Be sure to enable pop-up blockers Associate Director of Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance | Habitat for Humanity.