Norwegian Refugee Council
Mali is in its second decade of grappling with a multidimensional humanitarian situation. Since 2012, the frequency and intensity of attacks have spread from the north to the centre, precipitating repeated population displacements. Since the second half of 2023, the context has been particularly delicate with repeated attacks, mainly in the north, causing cyclical displacements. The estimated number of internally displaced people in Mali is 354,739.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has been working in Mali since 2013. The organization has a coordination office in Bamako, and field offices located in the regions: Mopti (with satellite offices in Tenekou, Koro and Djenne), Tombouctou, Gao, Ménaka and Ségou.
To be able to meet the needs of populations affected by conflict, displacement and climatic hazards, NRC’s dedicated team is implementing programs in the following areas: Education, Shelter, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH); Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA); Livelihoods and Food Security; and Protection against Violence.
What you will do:
The Area Manager (AM) is a member of the Country Management Group (CMG), a strategic governing structure of the Country Office. In addition to participating in the steering of the country strategy, the purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost-effective programme/project implementation in their Area Offices in Mali.
- Leadership of the area of responsibility and direct line management for senior programme staff and support functions in the area
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance, and procedures, including grants opening, review and closure meetings at area level
- Provide area specific input on Core Competencies (CC) strategies, Country Strategy and organize Plan of Action
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans, ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies.
- Represent NRC and ensure proactive networking at the area level, liaise with other stakeholders to ensure that NRC work is presented and shared across the humanitarian community
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area, ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area.
- Promote the rights of refugees, IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
What you will bring:
- Minimum 5 years of experience working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian and recovery context
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in French and in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in Central Sahel
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimise results
Please find the full job description here.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility. At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
What we offer:
- Contract of 12 months
- Grade 10 in NRC scale
- Location: Gao
- Potential start date: Mid-June 2024
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 25/2/2024
Important information about the application process
- For internal candidates: please click on the suitcase icon labelled “I am an employee” to be redirected to NRC’s internal careers site.
- When creating your profile, include your full name as given on your passport. Complete all the system-required fields for experience, employment history and education.
- Submit your application and CV in English, taking care to attach your latest CV.
- Applications that do not meet the minimum standards in terms of experience or qualifications will generally not be considered. Unsolicited applications not related to this specific job advertisement will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We receive many applicants for each vacant position.
- If you have any questions about this role, please email [email protected] with the job title as the subject line.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. Our 15,000 staff work in crises across 40 countries, providing life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year.
Watch this short video to see NRC in action.
We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee. Are you one of those people? If you are, NRC offers you the opportunity to:
- do demanding and professional work, often in challenging contexts
- join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility
- be part of a welcoming and supportive community committed to human dignity
How to apply
If interested, please apply at this link.
Deadline: 25 Feb 2024