Near East Foundation
Title: Administration and Finance Officer
Reporting to: Senior Accountant
Location: Rumbek, Lakes State – South Sudan
The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking applicants for an Administration and Finance Officer to be based in Rumbek, South Sudan. For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. Working through a network of country offices and local partners, NEF currently operates in ten countries. In South Sudan, NEF draws on local teams, experience, and partnerships to create community-led solutions to reduce poverty, create economic opportunity, and empower conflict and crisis-affected groups to improve their future outlook and wellbeing.
The Administration and Finance Officer is a key member of the Near East Foundation team in Rumbek, South Sudan. The Administration and Finance Officer is responsible for all financial management in the field office.
NEF’s program in Lakes State aims to support the resilience and recovery of conflict, climate, and crisis-impacted communities through interventions in WASH, food security and livelihoods. The project delivers community development initiatives, and investments in essential services through partner community associations, cooperatives, and non-government organizations in addition to academic and private sector partners.
The Administration and Finance Officer will work in close cooperation and coordination with Senior Accountant, Area Coordinator and Senior Operations Specialist.
- Maintain control of petty cash, ensure its sufficiency on monthly basis and reconcile weekly.
- Review all staff expense reports and advance requests to ensure compliance to NEF policies prior to payment.
- Verify filed office procurement processes by reviewing invoices for accuracy
- Ensure that appropriate procurement authorization and supporting documentation are attached and in accordance with NEF procurement procedures
- Support in the preparation of disbursement vouchers, ensure all the supporting documentation is attached and comply to NEF polices.
- Responsible for the management of overall field office operations.
- Ensure the office (and project site) environment is clean, organized, well-functioning and fully stocked with the necessary supplies.
- Responsible for field office HR and Administrative functions
- Monitor changes and new developments in state tax laws, rules and regulations.
- Maintain audit proof accurate filling system both hard and digital through sage.
- Ensure all logistical needs of the field office and project sites are assessed and reported to the relevant staff or to Juba office.
- Work closely with Juba Logistics on Purchase Requests and Purchase Orders and follow up accordingly
- Maintain NEF fixed assets inventory register for the field office assets.
- Ensure management of NEF storage facilities where available and ensure NEF standard store management procedures are strictly applied
We encourage all individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to succeed within this position and thrive at NEF to apply for this role, even if you do not meet 100% of the qualifications.
- University degree in financial management, accounting, business administration, economics, or any other related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with NGOs, other international agencies or multinational business preferably in Abye.;
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Geographical and administrative knowledge.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong information technology skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic. Knowledge of local languages; Dinka will be an added advantage.
- Basic knowledge of livelihood-related interventions a plus.
- Experience in organizing and facilitating workshops.
External and Internal work relations
- Area Coordinator, Senior Accountant, Senior Operation Specialist, Program Coordinator, Program Director.
- Senior Operations Specialist; operations, logistics, procurement, safety and security.
- Senior Finance Specialist; finance, grants disbursement, and accountancy.
- Local authorities and community leaders.
- Ministry of finance and National Revenue Authority.
How to apply
The closing date for submitting applications is Sunday, February 25, 2024.
This position will be hired on a rolling basis. Interested candidates areencouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To apply please visit the Near East Foundation Careers page at https://neareast.bamboohr.com/careers/352?source=aWQ9OA%3D%3D
Please apply by submitting the following documents in the English language:
- Cover letter outlining relevant experience and availability
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org
The Near East Foundation promotes Equal Employment Opportunities for all applicants seeking employment and NEF employees.
Any Employment with the Near East Foundation will be subject to the following checks prior to start date:
- A satisfactory Restricted Party Screening.
- Receipt of satisfactory references.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the national location for this role.
- Workplace Verification Check.
NEF’s strength is its people. Our team is our fuel to achieving the innovation, quality programming, community focus, mutual trust, sustainability, and learning needed to realize our mission. To help our team thrive, we support a working structure that prioritizes flexibility, personal commitments, and staff well-being while promoting a work culture of teamwork, collaboration, respect, integrity, and excellence.
As an international organization, we value a truly diverse workforce and prioritize a culture of inclusivity and belonging. We strive to create a high-achieving work environment informed by different cultures, perspectives, and experiences. With a commitment to diversity, equality, equity, and inclusion in all we do, our aim is to ensure that people feel heard, protected, and empowered to contribute to NEF’s mission from day one.
Deadline: 25 Feb 2024