To work as part of Oxfam Kenya’s Programme Team which exists to realize the vision of “a transformed Kenyan Society that challenges poverty and inequality to claim their rights”. We contribute to this vision by strengthening analysis and generating knowledge and influence for transparency and accountability in the management of public resources, progressive taxation systems, gender responsive allocation and effective utilisation of resources for public services. We identify and work with strategically fit Civil Society Organizations, Women’s Rights Organizations, Academia, Private Sector, Networks, Coalitions, Movements and Alliances to engage and influence governments for inclusive and accountable governance systems that protect human rights and our planet. We convene and influence for effective development and implementation of key international, continental and national policies, Programmes and human rights instruments that facilitate safe and vibrant spaces that allow all people to hold the powerful to account.
The Accountable Governance Lead will be a core member of the Governance and Accountability Programme. The role is part of Oxfam Kenya Development Programmes that works towards ensuring equitable raising, gender-responsive allocation and spending of financial resources at national and county level; and a vibrant and dynamic civil society that is maximises its space; effectively mobilising citizens, advocating for citizen’s rights and holding government to account on the management of public resources. The role contributes to national, regional and global advocacy and influencing efforts progressive taxation systems, gender responsive allocation and effective utilisation of resources for public services, in order to alleviate poverty and reducing inequality in Kenya.
The Accountable Governance Lead has overall accountability for the Governance and Accountability programme, grounded in understanding that Tax revenues are the biggest source of long-term financing for sustainable development and the Kenyan constitution clearly specifies equity as an expected outcome. With a positive economic growth and investment opportunities, Kenya has a great potential to mobilise more tax revenues, provide public services to its people, and reduce inequality. In order to realise this, there is need to improve governance and accountability within civil society organisations so that they and citizens can influence progressive tax mobilisation, gender responsive allocation and effective utilisation of resources for public services. S/he contributes significantly to Oxfam’s thought leadership on Civic Space, Fiscal Justice, democratization, Active Citizenship and effective institutions. H/She ensures an integrated approach and connectedness (synergy) of all our programmes including cross-campaigns (ways of working and coordination). S/he leads in programme/project conceptualization, design, development and resource mobilization for the accountable governance projects; and connects them with the wider confederation Global Strategic Framework, country programme’s strategy and country programmes in a way that maximises resource acquisition efficiency and impactful delivery. S/he nurtures and supports a high performing team and partners to integrate and implement key influencing strategies and actions. S/he develops and pushes for joint influencing actions with Oxfam and partners in engaging the governments, corporates and regional bodies. S/he establishes/strengthens strategic partnerships Civil Society Organizations, Women’s Rights Organizations, Private Sector, Academia, Networks and coalitions to maximize the impact of Oxfam’s work in Kenya.
Programme Management, Implementation and Resourcing – 40%
- Leads in the conceptualization, design, implementation and coordination of the Accountable Governance Programme and projects.
- Ensures an integrated delivery of the Programmes and Projects in line with Oxfam’s One Programme Approach.
- Engages with other country Programmes, Oxfam in Africa, Oxfam International and affiliates to support effective implementation of campaigns and influencing programs on GJ & WR, Accountable Governance, Climate Justice and Humanitarian Systems Strengthening.
- Closely monitors country level and regional trends on Civic Space, Fiscal Justice and governance systems, and provides timely advise to the country team on ways to respond; and maximize positive impact from the country’s interventions including on Feminist leadership approaches.
- Provides technical support to the SMT, MEAL Advisor, Media and Communications Advisor and Technical Thematic Leads to effectively integrate accountable governance initiatives in their programmes.
- Ensures that agreed strategic objectives and operational plans relating to the Accountable Governance programme are implemented in a way that maximizes synergy and in line with Oxfam’s Strategic framework/vision.
- Leads in the designs of fundable projects and mobilization of resources for the Accountable Governance Programmes and Projects.
- Ensures donor compliance and leads in the delivery of donor reports that meet Oxfam program quality standards.
- Supports the M.E.AL Advisor in the delivery of quality internally reports in a timely manner.
- Supports program staff and leadership to review reports and relevant documents and adequately reflect Accountable Governance objectives in Oxfam in Kenya’s work.
Partnership management, coalition building and support – 30%
- Provides technical guidance and support to the implementation of key projects by working in collaboration with countries as well as Oxfam partners on Accountable Governance.
- Identify and Broker relationships with governance and active citizenship, national and regional institutions in support of accountable governance work and initiatives.
- Ensures Oxfam Program Influencing Standards and Partnership Principles are well integrated and constantly referenced by staff and partners to guide Oxfam’s work.
- Informs and influences CSO’s as appropriate and coordinates with the regional, affiliate and global colleagues.
- Supports partners and alliances/coalitions in resource mobilization efforts.
- Develops and maintains relationships with professional networks with partners and allies, think tanks/knowledge institutions, national legislative bodies and policy mechanisms (Parliamentarians, ministries, local governments,).
- Participates in relevant regional/continental/national/international events.
Research, knowledge generation, campaigns and policy influencing – 25%
- Provides thought leadership and adopts a political economy analysis to Accountable Governance work.
- Shares relevant information and tools such as briefing papers, internal documents and reports with relevant teams, partners, and allies, as necessary.
- Supports the convening of key stakeholders to shape correct and impactful narratives which in turn achieve design influence on issues of Accountable Governance in the country.
- Implementation of the projects under the Tax and Climate Justice Programme that include influencing tax and fiscal justice, Climate Financing, Domestic Resource Mobilization, public finance management including budget policies, legislation and decisions for the benefit of target beneficiaries.
- Through technical guidance, to support relevant research and policy analysis taking into consideration gender and inequality.
- Supports and strengthen coalitions and alliances on economic justice and inequality advocacy and campaigns targeting governments and institutions at relevant levels to enhance Oxfam’s work under the Accountable Governance Programme.
- Work collaboratively with the Media and Communications and the M.E.A.L Advisor to develop policy briefing papers, media briefs and opinion pieces for external use and on the documentation of the programme, learning and case stories for programme visibility and fundraising.
- Manage consultants and researchers as required, in accordance with Oxfam policy and procedures.
Human resource management – 5%
- Manage direct reports in in line with Oxfam’s HR policies and procedures.
- Manage direct reports in a way that enables them to achieve their objectives and empowers them to deliver to their full potential.
- With support from HR, manages the life cycle of individuals within their team from pre-recruitment to exit, including performance management processes, and working with HR on issues such as disciplinary matters.
- Models Oxfam values and principles.
Most importantly, every individual at Oxfam needs to be able to:
- Live our values of INCLUSION, ACCOUNTABILITY, EMPOWERMENT, COURAGE, SOLIDARITY and EQUALITY (read more about these here)
- Ensure you commit to our ORGANIZATIONAL ATTRIBUTES (including adhering to the Code of Conduct).
- Be committed to our feminist principles, and to applying them in your day-to-day behaviour and your work. Be ready to keep learning, with accountability to those who experience oppression as a result of their identities, such as their gender, race/ethnicity, disability, class, or LGBTQIA identity.”
- Be committed to undertaking Oxfam’s safeguarding training and adhering to relevant policies, to ensure all people who come into Oxfam are as safe as possible.
How to apply
Please upload your cover letter and CV on the link below: